Chapter 5

ATHENA’S POV

I looked around camp and noticed that all the Lost Boys were playing games and climbing ropes, but Henry was sitting on a log watching them.  As I looked at him, and idea came to mind, I decided that I wanted to test what Henry’s combat fighting skills were like.  I walked over to him and started poking Henry with one of the sticks that we had for play fighting.  He turned around and looked at me.

“Ow!”  He said, getting up and backing away from me.  I smirked and lunged towards him playfully.  He dodged the stick.

“Stop it!”  He exclaimed.  Everyone went silent and turned to us.  I sighed and rolled my eyes.

“If you can’t take this, how are you going to handle what my brother and I have in store for you?”  I asked sassily.  He looked down and noticed one of the wooden poles we use for practice fighting and other stuff laying on the ground.  My eyes flickered towards it then to him, indicating for him to pick it up.  He did so, and I lunged at him a few times, forcing him backwards.  He blocked all my moves, which is somewhat impressive.

“Not bad.”  I heard Peter said from the side of the camp.  I looked over to see him leaning against a tree.  We stopped and I leant on the pole.  “But wouldn’t it be more fun if you had real swords?”  He said, walking towards us.  I narrowed my eyes at him.  Hmm, I wonder what he’s planning?

“I’ve never used a real sword.”  Henry said.

“This is Neverland, and you have the heart of the truest believer.  You can use whatever you want.”  Peter replied, putting his hand on Henry’s shoulder.  “You just need to believe, Henry.”  He said.  He grabbed Henry’s hand and raised the wooden pole.  “Close your eyes and believe you’re holding a real sword.”  Peter instructed.  I watched as the pole in Henry’s hand it turned into a real sword.  The other boys made impressed sounds and I raised my eyebrows.

My eyes narrowed as my gaze focused on him.  The boys then began shouting for him to fight me…and that’s exactly what he did.  He was coming at me, lashing out at my weapon with fire in his eyes.  I heard the boys and Peter cheering him on as we fought.  After a few hits, Henry cut the wooden pole in half, but he didn’t stop there, he cut it even shorter and then aimed for my face.  My hand flew down to my dagger that I always had on me, and I grabbed it and blocked his sword at lightning speed, but he still kept going – dagger vs sword – until he eventually cut my cheek.

“I’m sorry, it was an accident.”  Henry apologized.  I narrowed my eyes slightly at him but didn’t say a word.

“Henry, don’t you know the best thing about being a lost boy?  We never apologize.”  Peter said.  He then turned Henry to the other Lost Boys and they began cheering. 

I went over to sit on one of the logs and began thinking about what had just happened.  That fire in his eyes, I couldn’t get it out of my head.  Devin came over and sat down next to me.

“You ok?”  He asked, indicating towards my cheek.

“Yeah, I’m fine.”  I replied, eyeing Henry.  “Something puzzles me though.”  I added.  He looked at me, slightly confused.

“What is it?”  He asked.

“When he was fighting me, how did it look to you guys?”  I asked.

“Like a normal battle between any of the Lost Boys.”  He replied.  I pursed my lips.

“You should have seen the look in his eyes though.  There was like this unquenchable fire that would not cease until he had either hurt or killed something.”  I said.  He frowned at my statement.