#004 Cyndaquil

Cyndaquil, the Fire Mouse Pokémon. Cyndaquil is usually timid by nature and often curls into a ball when intimidated. It has four red spots on its back from which its flames erupt. Cyndaquil is capable of defending itself using these flames. The fire grows more powerful as Cyndaquil becomes more angry or defensive. Cyndaquil can be found in the wild, although rarely. – Nurse Evergreen.

At Professor Elm's lab, Nurse Isabelle was sending Ivysaur back to Erika of Celadon Gym. The goodbye was felt heavy because Ivy realised that his time with his trainer was most likely done. Izzy now had Meganium to take care of and Ivy had his family back at Celadon. Maybe, when the young nurse stopped travelling and settled down, Ivysaur could join her again, but until then it's goodbye.

After one last kiss on his head, Isabelle returned him to his Pokéball and sent him away with both pain in her heart and a numbing sense of resignation. Izzy went outside to stroke Meganium's long neck.

"So, you've met my starter. I'm quite sure you understand the bond between him and me. Don't worry, Meganium, I don't require you to be his replacement. You'll have your own spot in my team. Your motherly instincts and the qualities of your species make you an excellent peace-keeper, which had been an unfulfilled role in my team. Chansey is for healing. Lapras ... well, she isn't really for anything yet since she's a baby, but she'll be incredibly useful for treating Pokémon on the water. Who else is there? Ponyta. My trustworthy Ponyta helps me get around the land much quicker. I do miss Pidgeot, but so be it. So please, honey, don't feel burdened. You have your own qualities and therefor your own place in my team. And I will require some help raising that baby Lapras," she added with a smile.

"Ready, Izz?" Dominic called. Dominic Whitewater had been inside catching up on any news he might have missed since leaving his home-region, but now he appeared on the porch of Elm's laboratory. His own backpack was swung over his shoulders and he held hers by the straps in his hands. It always amused her to see Dominic in full ranger-mode with his hiking boots and sporty jacket, while carrying her soft pink backpack. She even had sewn badges on them to make it more personal.

"Yes, I'm ready! You want to walk with us, Meganium? Raichu's joining us, too. That's Dom's starter. I think you'll like her. Raichu seems to be like you. The only difference is that Dom's other Pokémon are her babies, so far. Have you ever seen a Machoke obey a Raichu? It's quite hilarious," Isabelle told the grass-type. In her new technique of warming a new Pokémon to the team, she would try to make it feel welcome and at home.

Dom and Izzy waved goodbye to Professor Elm and then departed from New Bark Town to head back to Cherrygrove City. Meganium followed behind them, walking seemingly slowly yet taking such large steps that she kept up with ease. It was truly wondrous how tall these Pokémon could become. Her back was on eye-height for Dom and Izzy, which put her head about twice as high above them. Raichu sat on her back, chattering in the language of Pokemon, which, although pronounced differently by every species, all seemed to understand.

"You know," Dominic said, as if he could read Isabelle's mind. "The Kantonian and Johtonian Pokémon can understand each other pretty easily because the regions are adjacent. I've seen it happen that Pokémon imported from that island Hoenn get rejected by a pack because they're too foreign, despite being of the same species."

"That's kinda cool," replied the nurse. "Sad for that Pokémon, but interesting that Pokémon work that way. There are so many mysteries surrounding Pokémon. I feel like we barely scratched the surface of what they can do. So, what's the plan from now on out?"

"We'll catch a ferry from Cherrygrove to Cianwood. It's the easiest way to get there. It's quite a long trip, though. I think about 24 hours? Halfway, we'll stop in Azalea Town, if I remember correctly."

Evening was falling when they reached Cherrygrove again. The coach station was still experiencing traffic, as it normally did at any hour of the day. Their ferry wasn't due to leave for another hour, so Isabelle withdrew Meganium, who wouldn't like being on a boat since she's a grass-type. Together, they ordered a sub from a local food place and sat on a bench together at the pier, having their dinner.

Instead of talking, they watched a young male trainer interact with his Cyndaquil. Very few could deny that the fire starter that was handed out in this region was adorable. However, it wasn't the most eager of the three, either. Intimidated by all the sounds in an unfamiliar environment, the Cyndaquil didn't listen to the boy who had no idea what to do. Luckily, he wasn't alone so there was no reason to interfere.

A boy with a Chikorita and a girl with a Pidgey joined the Cyndaquil trainer. They spoke for a moment, laughed, and walked off together. Cyndaquil seemed to feel much better seeing a familiar face, which was the Chikorita.

"A timid fire-type," Isabelle mused. "Not really an ideal combination. One would want the Pokémon to have confidence in its power. Fire is fuelled by emotions, unlike water or electricity."

"Nah, don't worry. It's just a young one, just like the trainer. They'll grow more confident together," Dominic replied. "Did you know? If I had had the opportunity, I would have chosen Cyndaquil. But fate happened and I found my lady Raichu, back when she was still young and weak. I've never regretted taking her in," he said as he hugged the rodent against his chest.