Chapter 10

My eyes fluttered open as I heard a loud bang at the door. Why were they knocking at the door? I had a doorbell. I quickly hopped out of bed, not bothering to change out of the grey sweatpants and tie-dye t-shirt I was wearing. I hurried downstairs, and on my way to the door checked the time. It was 5:24 in the morning, and this would make it the second day in a row I’ve been waken up early by someone.

I hesitantly pulled open the door, wondering who in their right mind would come over at this time. The answer was Kate. She stood in my doorway her hair messy, and tears streaming down her face. I quickly pulled her into a tight hug. I drew gentle circles on her back with my thumb, trying to calm her down. I realized that we were both still standing in my doorway. I pulled away from the hug, and led her into my room. She quickly made herself at home, falling face forward onto my bed and sobbing into my sheets. I sat down on the edge of my bed, waiting a moment before speaking, “Do you want to talk about it?” I asked. I already knew the answer, Kate was a really talkative person, in fact I don’t think there was a moment in our friendship that she wasn’t blabbing on about something. Kate flipped over so she was laying on her back, now. She sat up and scooted forward so that she was sitting next to me on the edge of the bed.

“It was Tyler.” She mumbled, expecting an ‘I told you so’ that I was trying very hard to hold back. I never liked Tyler, we never got along.

“I’m- I’m really sorry Kate.” I whispered, looking up at her sympathetically.

“No I told you so?” Kate questioned, bringing a hand up to her cheek and wiping away a falling tear.

“I’m saving that for later.” I joked, trying to lighten the mood. Kate let out a watery laugh. “So, what happened?”

“He hit me.” Kate said, her tears turning into loud sobs. My eyes went wide. “He was drunk and I was nagging him and I, I guess I deserved it.” She leaned towards me and rested her head on my shoulder.

I embraced her into a tight hug, “You don’t deserve anything like that! Tyler ju-“Before I could finish, my doorbell rang. Both of our heads shot up. “Just hold on, it will only be a second, I promise.” I got up and rushed downstairs, ready to tell whoever it was to go away. I opened the door to reveal Harry leaning on the doorframe. At first, I smiled, happy to see Harry after we had “gotten closer” yesterday. Then, I remembered that Harry, was dressed as Harry, not Marcel and Kate was just upstairs.

“Harry Kate is u-“I began before Harry cut me off by pressing his lips to mine. We backed up into the house, our lips not disconnecting once. Harry pinned me against the entryway wall.

“I don’t think we got to finish, yesterday.” Harry whispered in my ear before connecting our lips once more. The kiss became even more ruff and forceful, but in a good way.

“Hey Lauren?” Kate’s voice called from upstairs. I heard her footsteps as she walked down the stairs. I was soon reminded of my best friend, waiting for me just upstairs. I pushed Harry off me, remembering that Harry wasn’t dressed as Marcel.

“Was that Kate?” He questioned, a worried look on his face.

 “Lauren?” Kate shouted again, her voice sounding much closer than before.

“You’re Harry.” I whispered, looking around for a place to hide him, before Kate could see that Harry Styles was in my house.

“I know I’m Harry, but who are you?” Harry smirked at his cheesy joke. He obviously wasn’t realizing how serious this was.

“No, I mean you are dressed as Harry and Kate is here.” I whispered to Harry. Harry looked down at his clothes and began panicking with me.

“Here!” I whispered, opening the door to the coat closet. Harry quickly ran over and squished himself into the closet. “Stay quiet.” I whispered. I closed the door, just in time for Kate to find me.

“There you are!” She let out a sigh of relief, acting like finding me was some hard task. “Who was at the door?” Kate asked, she seemed much more calmed down than before. Her cheeks were still tear stained but she had a smile on her face. I chose not to question her sudden change in mood.

“Um, it was a ding dong ditch.” I replied quickly. I tried to hide a smile, but I was very proud that I came up with an excuse that quickly. I was normally an awful liar.

“Well, what were you doing in the coat closet?” She laughed. I never used the coat closet. It was just kind of… there.

“I was trying to find my coat.” I lied. It was in the spring and who wears a coat in the spring? I knew Kate could probably see right through me.

“Sure you were…” Kate laughed.

~

After about an hour of talking non-stop, I finally convinced Kate to try and break up with Tyler. She eventually left, more calmed down than before, but she was still in shock. I opened up the coat closet door to reveal Harry, sitting on the floor of the closet twiddling his thumbs. I immediately felt awful for taking so long to get Kate out. Harry probably didn’t even have his phone on him. When he saw me he immediately stood up, walking past me. Without saying a word, Harry walked out of sight and I stayed standing where I was, wondering where he could have possibly gone. He’d only been in my house once, it’s not like he knew where everything was. Still, Harry seemed to have no problem with making himself at home. From, where I stood in the closet doorway, I could hear the opening and closing of cabinets in the kitchen.

“Harry, what are you doing?” I asked, walking into the kitchen and leaning up against the counter. I stood there and watched Harry pull out things and set them on the counter.

“I’m making us lunch.” He smirked, not looking up from what he was beginning to make. That made me realize, that Kate had stayed much longer than I thought. It was probably around noon, by now.

“Good because I’m starving and the only thing I can make is cereal.” I laughed.

“So, are you planning to talk to Kate about the thing?” Harry asked, changing the topic to something that I really didn’t want to talk about.

“Which thing?” I asked, and Harry raised an eyebrow at me. “Our fake relationship or what just happened?” I explained. Harry stood there for a second thinking. To be honest, I really wouldn’t know how to answer either of them. I wasn’t supposed to tell anyone about our fake relationship, and even though Kate was my best friend, I knew she wouldn’t be able to keep a secret that big. It was all over the media already, and Kate had even mentioned it to me once before. As important as it was, Kate and I just tried to not bring it up in our conversations. And the make out session between us, I couldn’t even imagine a way I would tell Kate about that. She still thought that I was annoyed by “Marcel”. I wouldn’t know even know where to begin.

“Both.” Harry replied.

“I don’t know, Harold.” I joked, emphasizing the Harold. Harry laughed and rolled his eyes at my remark. “Seriously, I don’t actually know. As much as I love Kate, she wouldn’t be able to keep either secrets.” I said, changing my voice to a more serious tone.

“Well, I guess you don’t really have to talk about it. But remember Lauren, we are going public in a week.” Harry answered, still not looking up from his cooking.

“Yeah, I know.” I mumbled.

~

Sorry this is kind of short guys. I'm taking the SAT tommorow. No, I'm not that old. I'm just supposedly smart or something. haha. but anyways! Don't forget to vote this chapter and comment your predictions. By the way, if you haven't caught on to the characters yet. The person in the gif is Kate, not lauren. (:

and is anyone confused by anything? sorry, if i didn't make anything clear just comment below any questions you have for me.