Chapter 1: Lightning

I never thought it would end like this, in a world that I thought was different. But I have no choice, not anymore. It could happen any moment, in this dark place. But before it happens, let me explain everything. I’m Ali, and this is the story of how I died.

I guess it started off like any other day would. I was walking normally to school with my best friend J. We were just joking around like we always did in the mornings. Until suddenly, I thought I saw something, something in the sky. “J, did you see that?” I asked him, pointing at the sky.

“See what?” He asked, confused. So was I.

“I don’t know. It was like lighting but not the whole thing, just the sparks that come off it.” He looked even more confused now.

“Yeah lightning in the sky, on a bright cloudless day! Are you sure?” He remarked sarcastically.

“Yes. No. I don’t know.” I paused. “But I defiantly saw something!”

“Yeah ok, if you say so. But while your pondering over that, your it!” J said, now running along the road.

“Oh no I’m not!” I shouted back to him, now chasing him down the road. He’s always known how to quickly change the subject, and my mood for that matter.

We were both out of breath by the time we got to school. The bell hadn’t gone yet so we had some time to talk. We found a shady tree and sat underneath it, still catching our breath.

“So, did you really see lightning?” He asked.

“I don’t know what I saw!” I replied truthfully. And it’s true, I really didn’t know.

J spotted some of his friends playing football and went to join them. Soon after that, the bell rang and we all hurried inside. The day seemed to go on forever, and by the time we finally got to go home, it felt as if a year had been past. As I headed out of school, I spotted J waiting for me by the front gates.

“Hey J!” I shouted to him. He waved back. J’s been my best friend forever and hopefully always will be.

“Hey Ali!” He called back.

We came out of school and started to walk home. “So what are you doing this evening?” I asked, trying to make conversation. For some reason, J hasn’t been that talkative recently. Whatever’s wrong, I hope it’s nothing I’ve done.

“Err, football training tonight. You?” He replied.

“It’s Mr Perfect’s birthday so we’re all being dragged out to a fancy restaurant with the rest of our family to celebrate. Yawn yawn! And my mum’s making me miss my piano lesson because of it! It’s so unfair!” I said gloomily.

Jack, or Mr Perfect in my mind, is my very annoying little brother. He’s not really that clever (or nice for that matter, especially to me) but for some reason my mum and dad worship him! So according to them, he can never put a foot wrong. Favouritism or what!

“Oh have fun!” We both laughed.

“You’re so lucky that you’re an only child! I’d give anything to swap my perfect little brother and whinny little sister for anything! Even, a rat!” I joked, trying to keep a serious face. But it didn’t last long. Eventually my smile broke through.

“Wow, you really are desperate!” He joked back. He knows how much I hate rats. Only I was being pretty serious. When we came to his road, we said goodbye and parted ways. I wished more than anything to just walk the same way and away from my life.

By the time I got home, I was starting to dread this evening even more than before. People are going to be wishing Jack happy birthday all the time and saying how constantly great he is at everything. I don’t know how I’m going to get through it. Even before I walked into the door, I knew something was going to wrong later on, I could just feel it.