Chapter 16: Another Eye

We approached the park’s entrance in silence. I wanted to ask him about Mr Black and more about his friends. I wanted to, but couldn’t, not yet. Hopefully when the time is right, he’ll reveal everything that I’m yet to understand.

Soon we reached J and Jack. J was sitting anxiously on a nearby wall presumably waiting for me and Evan. I couldn’t see Jack anywhere.

“J!” I called, running up to him.

“Ali! Ali your alive!” He said, jumping off the wall and hugging me. I hugged him back, relived that he’s alright.

“Yes for now.” I joked happily, enjoying the moment.

“So, what happened where did they take you?”

“That’s a long story. Anyway, where’s Jack?” I asked, looking around for him again.

“Oh, I took him home. He’s safe.”

“Thanks. I’m glad you got him back safely.” I said gratefully, although he didn’t seem to be listening.

J certainly isn’t himself, I wonder what’s wrong? He seems sort of on the edge. It must be after everything that’s happened, at least I hope so. But for now, let’s just convince myself that that’s it. I just hope I’m right.

“So anyway, shall we go?” He said, heading towards the tree which is our doorway home.

“No.” I said instantly. This made him stop instantly and stare back at me.

“What? What do you mean no?” His tone was as sharp as a knife and felt like it cut me in two. He’s only ever acted like this when something’s bugging him. I hope it’s just Evan, with their odd history.

“I mean no, I’m not going back, not yet.”

“What do you mean?”

“I can’t. Mr Black, the head guy of the group that took me, he wants stuff. If we go now then there’s a big chance that he’ll do it to someone else. I know this isn’t my world, or my life, and have nothing to do with any of it. But, I can’t just sit back and do nothing.”

“She’s right.” Evan said, stepping beside me. I felt his hand brush mine then come closer. I quickly moved mine and got back to the conversation. “If you just leave now then the chances are he will do it to someone else.”

“And you know, don’t you. He told me, your uncle.” I continued, staring at Evan. He turned away, but I could still see his eyes.

“What?” J said, confused. I forgot he wasn’t there and doesn’t have a clue to what I’m talking about. In the end I didn’t answer.

“Look none of that matters now.” I paused. “The only thing that does is getting back there and stopping him. And I’m going, with or without your help.” I continued, staring sternly at J. I knew he didn’t want to come, yet I also knew that he wouldn’t let me go alone with Evan.

“Alright, I’ll come. But as soon as we’ve sorted this, can we go?”

“Yeah, the minute it’s over.” I replied, trying to settle his nerves. He wanted to go home, but we couldn’t. We had to fix this.

As soon as we agreed what to do, we set off to their base. I had no idea where it was beyond the park, as I was pulled into a van, but Evan said he knew. As we followed, J pulled me back.

“Why do you trust him?” J asked, as we kept walking.

“Because he’s given me no reason not to. And he is the one that saved me from the burning office.”