Chapter Twenty-Three: Emma

A/N: Thank you to everyone who has been commenting and voting nonstop on this story! It means so much to see that you guys are enjoying this story. :) I reply to as many comments as I can, especially questions and essay comments lol. Thank you again!

***

Kidnap My Heart

Chapter 23: Emma

Eric Knight was sly; he was clever. Hell, he was almost as good at this pranking thing as I was—maybe better. He was more level-headed than I was at the moment, at least. He saved me from being discovered by Will, and I didn’t even notice I’d almost been caught until Eric told me himself.

When Will told his brother he was planning on flipping my mattress as a prank, Eric was quick to act. He removed the walkie talkie from under the mattress before Will could get to work.

“What would you do without me?” Eric asked as he handed me the walkie talkie. He subtly glanced over my shoulder and his to make sure no one was listening. Will and Taylor were still in the living room; Eric and I had made up some bullshit excuse to sneak away. Taylor knew about the whole haunting thing and how Eric was in on it, but Will obviously didn’t and we wanted things to stay that way.

I shook my head, stuffing the walkie talkie inside of my pocket. I was wearing a pair of Will’s shorts, and they had these ginormous pockets that could fit pretty much anything. It was like I had a Mary Poppins bag in my shorts. “I owe you one. That was close. I didn’t even think of that when I realized he’d flipped it.”

Eric’s eyebrows furrowed and he lowered his voice. “You didn’t remember putting the walkie talkie there?”

“No, I did. It’s just—” I hesitated to continue. I couldn’t tell him the truth. How would that have gone? The springs on Will’s mattress almost stabbed me in the back, so Will lifted my shirt to see if he’d hurt me, and I let him, and he started tracing my back with his fingers and his touch was so distracting and felt so irritatingly nice that my mind went completely blank for once and I didn’t consider the fact that he could’ve discovered the walkie talkie I’d left down there? No, I didn’t think so.

“Just what?”

“I was just more focused on the fact that I’d just laid on a porcupine bed. I didn’t think about the walkie talkie,” I said, opting for a safe response instead of the complete truth.

“Well, be more careful next time,” Eric said, glancing over my shoulder again. He was a paranoid one. “This is fucking hilarious, and I don’t want you to ruin it.”

I shot him a look. “I’m sorry. Am I getting in the way of your prank, Princess?”

He returned his focus to me, shooting me a lazy grin. “Sorry. I get kind of into this stuff. That’s why I don’t start things myself. I get carried away.”

“Really? I couldn’t tell.” Sarcasm dripped off of my every word. “Just keep in mind whose idea this was in the first place. Keep in mind who wrote out the script you follow, who wrote on the wall with fake blood, and who successfully instilled the fear in him in the first place. Don’t get cocky.”

He mockingly saluted me. “Yes, ma’am.”

I lightly smacked him in the gut and gestured for him to follow me upstairs. I needed him to cover me while I re-hid the walkie-talkie. Will had flipped the mattress back over and promised not to touch it ever again, so there was no longer any danger in leaving it there.

I didn’t have any problem putting it back, but it was nice to know someone had my back just in case. Eric wouldn’t have been my first choice in accomplices, but Taylor was too nice to help me with a prank like this. She thought it was amusing, sure, but she was only interested in casually observing as an outsider. At least she kept her mouth shut.