Chapter 20 | Two Sides to Every Coin

Start from the beginning

He was barbaric and impatient. As much as he'd like to say he's not like his kind, they're all the same deep down. Even someone as domestic as Croc, he still can't help the anger innate in his genetics. Shae wasn't in the mood to argue with Dusk today. He approached her bed and rolled her over on her back. She tried to bat him away to no avail. Shae held her down by her neck and forced her medication down her throat.

It alarmed Ryan to watch whenever he did this to patients. When he saw Micah do it to Knox, he thought it hurt so much to watch because that was his nephew. Seeing it happen to Dusk, even more violently at that, put a pain in his chest. There was something to her that felt familiar for him. That feeling, whatever it may be, was eating at his conscious. He turned his head away from the horrid sight of the witch choking on the demon's fingers.

Finally, the pills were down her throat. She coughed and grasped her neck once he released his grip. "I hate you!" She screamed at him, "I hate you! I hate you! I hate you!" Dusk picked up the vase beside her bed and tossed it at him as he walked away.

In a sharp turn, Shae spun around and caught it. He saw the already dead willows on the ground. Setting the vase back in it's place, he said, "This better be cleaned up by dinner, or you'll be punished for your attitude as of late. Understood?"

Dusk hung her head, muttering, "Yes, Sir."

He turned his back to her once more, this time not receiving any potential attacks. Dusk glanced back up at Ryan pitifully. He knew better than to fall for her games. Yet, he couldn't help himself from wanting so badly to comfort her. All he could do for the time being was offer her a smile. That seemed to help enough.

Colton stopped the pair in the hall. He handed Shae a piece of paper, telling him, "Tend to this as soon as possible, please."

"Why is Yuki on here?" He asked, his concern for his husband overriding his respect for his boss.

"You should be asking yourself that question more than me. He's your responsibility, after all. My brother and I both agree with Beau's decision." He replied.

"I'll treat the other two when I'm done with my rounds, but can't I wait on Yuki until after dinner? I promise, I'll get him to eat tonight." 

The doctor reluctantly agreed, "Fine. You and I both know it takes awhile though, so start imediately. Have the new aid finish your rounds. That's what he's here for, after all."

"Do you think you can handle Asher on your own?" Shae asked. 

"I've fought in wars before, and I lived with Ghost through eight pregnancies. There's nothing I can't handle." He replied, "But I would like it if you told me where you were going."

"There are a few patients here that battle anorexia, or just straight up don't eat to piss me off. When they get too bad we have to force feed them. It's an ugly process and it takes about two hours a patient. So, it's best I get going. Doctor, if you could, unlock the last two rooms for him."

"Yes, of course." Colton responded.

They split off in their separate directions. Being that Ryan would be going straight into Asher's room and Croc could be trusted to have his door open for a small period of time, Colton opened both at once. He left once that was over with to attend to other pressing matters. Ryan collected what he needed off of the cart and headed into Asher's room. His medical skills were rusty but that wasn't what he was concerned for.

"Well," Asher rolled his tone, "Hello, Handsome." He sat up on his floor, batting his eyelashes, "All alone today?"

For the sake of not getting gutted by a serial killer, he decided to play it charmingly. "Yes, I am. Shae had other things to do. I'm filling in. I hope that's okay." 

The small demon rose to his feet. He beamed a smile, "More than okay." Asher approached Ryan carefully. The aid didn't bother flinching away when his patient undid the top few buttons of his dress shirt, "There. That's much better, don't you think?"

He snickered, "I normally wear it that way but I figured, first few days on the job, I should look more professional. There's typically some blood stains on my skirt as well, but again, that may interfere with the job."

"You're worried the smell of blood will make us lose our minds?" He inquired.

Ryan took his arm, wiping off an area of the skin with a clean alcohol pad. "Not all of the patients. You, in particular, yes. I saw on your file that you're not allowed meat, or any animal products for that matter."

"Yes, that's right." He didn't even flinch when the needle was pressed into his skin. "I'm not a fan of the vegan diet. My doctor is afraid I'll turn into a monster if I'm allowed blood or meat. Yet, he puts such a fine cut like you right in front of me. I believe he plans to torture me."

"Who's your doctor?" Ryan asked, watching the syringe as he pushed the medication through.

"Angel. He's almost everyone's doctor here. Colton is assigned the more complicated cases, the ones that are hard to break. And Finch, they give him the ones that are already broken." Asher closed his eyes blissfully and released a pleased breath when the needle was removed.

"You seem to know a lot about this place." He commented.

"I haven't been here too terribly long. Only about two years. I'd like to consider myself perceptive, though. I can observe smaller details." Asher leaned closer and drew in a breath along Ryan's neck, "Your cologne, it smells different."

"I'm wearing the same one as yesterday." He replied.

The demon traced his fingertips up Ryan's Adam's apple. "I know you are. It smells different, though, because it's mixed with someone else's cologne."

He scoffed humorously, "Are you jealous I slept with someone else?"

"No, because you didn't sleep with him. Otherwise, you would've showered this morning. At the very least, you would've smelled like cum." Asher placed his hands on both sides of his head, trapping him against the wall. "I take it your romance last night didn't allow you to go all the way. I can finish what he didn't, if you'd like."

Ryan wanted to shove him back out of revolt. He did, however, have a goal to accomplish. Setting his hooked finger under Asher's chin, he replied, "Later. I plan on visiting after lights out, and we'll speak more then. For now, I have to finish rounds."

"So be it." The demon leaned in closer. He turned his head and latched his lips onto Ryan's neck. After sucking on his soft skin for a moment, no doubt leaving a hickey, he pulled back to whisper, "A little tide me over until we meet again." 

Asher finally backed up. Ryan fixed his shirt, buttoning it back to where it needed to be. He didn't want to risk running into his boss in the hallway. The sex insane demon lowered himself back to the floor slowly. He laid down on the pentagram painted on the cold ground. He'd remain in this position until his new favorite aid returned.