19

CHAPTER NINETEEN

all good things come to an end.

that sentence kept echoing inside wheein's head as soon as she stepped inside her house.

being bombarded with questions as to where she was, or who she was with, wasn't exactly wheein's ideal welcome home from her parents. they happened to see hwasa kissing wheein goodbye, and to say they were disappointed, was a complete understatement. she ended up leaving the living room with tears falling down her cheeks, along with all the happy memories of today. she ran upstairs, almost tripping because the tears blurred her sight.

she immediately closed the door, quietly, wishing she'd just cease to exist in this very moment.

the girl crawled under her duvet, clutching a pillow close to her chest. eventually, the tears stopped running, and her breathing became less laboured- allowing her to take in deep breaths to calm her unsteady, and out of control, racing heart.

a few light knocks on the door and then her mother entered. "who was that girl?"

the only person who actually makes me feel happy, she thought, but was too afraid to voice it out loud.

"why did she kiss you?"

wheein wanted to scream 'you've already interrogated me enough, just leave me alone!' but she could bring herself to do it, she didn't want to seem like more of a freak to her parents: the people she thought that would always accept her.

a weight was felt on the edge of her bed, it instantly irritated her. she could hear her mum let out a sigh, "you're still only young, you have your whole life ahead of you, this is probably just a-"

"phase?" she finished the woman's sentence for her, almost yelling it. and, finally, she peeled her covers away, looking her in the eye. "it's not just some phase. i love her. she's the one person who actually understands me. she's always there for me, when no one else is. when you're not. she cares about me and i care about her."

everything came tumbling out and she couldn't stop it. by the time wheein was done talking, she could feel the heat her cheeks emitted, and her chest rose and fell noticeably.

but, after that, she felt the heaviness her heart has been carrying, finally fade away.

the dark haired girl was beyond terrified at this moment, her mother wasn't even looking at her anymore, and wheein swore she could see a few tears roll down her cheeks. what she feared the most was that even after explaining herself, her parents still wouldn't understand; that they would only neglect her- push her aside like she never mattered.

"that's how you feel?" her mother spoke, breaking the deadly silence.

building up the strength, she said, "yes. it's how i've been feeling for awhile now."

although her voice sounded weak, and she was on the verge of breaking down again, she wasn't going to let anyone take away her happiness- not anymore.

"i'm so sorry." wheein snapped her head up, meeting her mum's gaze. her eyes glistened with fresh tears. "i didn't know that's how you've been feeling. i-i just need time to get my head around all of this. can you let me think for a bit? i want to try and fix things."

nodding her head slowly, wheein reached out her hand and, hesitantly, she grabbed her mother's.

the woman looked down, a sad smile formed on her lips as her fingers curled around wheein's. the girl wasn't expecting this outcome at all, but she was thankful that her mother would at least try to fix what happened between them.

"i know i haven't been paying much attention recently, which i'm extremely sorry for, but i can see you're happier now."

"i am."

"it's because of her, isn't it?"

looking down, wheein shyly nodded her head again and smiled, saying a quiet, "it is because of her."

her mother smiled, even if it didn't completely reach her eyes. wheein knew she was trying, and hopefully one day - very soon - everything would be fine between them again.

standing up from the bed, she walked over to the door, but before she left the room, she turned back to wheein one last time.

"what's her name?" she asked, a subtle grinned tugged on the corner of her lips.

wheein smiled, "ahn hyejin."

now, the smile was real, and she left the room quickly after that. the dark haired girl flopped back down onto her covers, rolling over, facing the blank wall.

the tears that were swelled up in her eyes minutes ago have now disappeared, along with all her worries and the anxiety-filled heartbeats, leaving the girl to have her the happiness she so desperately struggled to keep. now, it was there, and she couldn't wait to tell hwasa about how everything really did work out in the end; how everything really was alright.

and, now, jung wheein didn't feel so lonely anymore.

a/n: this is ending soon but i have an idea for a moonsun fic i'll start working on soon