Chapter 3 - Forest

I don't know how long I stand on the side of the road. I have no watch and with my phone gone I can't check the maps application to know where I am. No cars have passed in the time I've been here.

I'm also shocked to realize that Rex hates me so much he wants me dead. Of course, we don't get along well. We never did. One of the first things he told me when he married Mom was to never call him stepfather. It made him old he said.

What could I have done to him? He has control over the house, the money and the fashion house. Isn't that what he wanted? I'm only a kid and have no understanding of business. I can't even claim my inheritance until I turn 21 years old.

It can't be about the stupid photo. He is a former model who still has his looks. I'm a pale gangly thing with black hair that sticks out everywhere. When I was in school, none of the girls showed interest in me. I haven't had my first kiss yet. People probably wrote those comments to troll him.

In moments like these, I wish my mom and dad were here with me. Why did they leave me? I don't want to die in the middle of nowhere. Mom told me she would always be there for me. Where are you now?

My sobs echo through the forest and my knees buckle from the pain I feel in my heart. Raw sadness fills me as I kneel in the muddy ground. I'm going to die and no one will miss me.

I calm down until all I have are shaky breaths. A squirrel crosses the street. It stops to look at me and continues its way. I think I even saw pity in its beady eyes. I envy the little thing. At least it has a place to call home.

I clean my nose roughly on my sleeve and stand up. I carry my heavy backpack and begin to walk. I need to get out of here. I keep to the road so I don't lose my chance if a car passes by.

"Fuck you scared me!" I shout at the two birds that fly in a wide circle above me and return to a tree.

I walk for what feels like hours. The sun burns bright and I feel it punishing the back of my neck. As I reach a bend, my heart sinks to my feet, the road has a dead end.

"This can't be true. Now I have to walk all the way back!"

I then see tire tracks on the road. I follow them to a wide opening in the trees. If a car went through there, maybe it's a shorcut to a road. Or my death, whatever comes first.

I need to keep moving. Once the sun goes down, I'll be surrounded by darkness and won't be able to go further.

I skid on the soft ground and end on my hands and knees. I clean my hands on my already dirty jeans and keep walking.

Walking in the middle of the forest feels creepy. A steady hum surrounds me and I swear I can hear my heartbeats. The sun filters through the tall branches and I only hope to make it on time to civilization.

I have either walked for hours and the sun has set or the forest is thicker on this side. I have trouble following the tracks in the dim light.

Suddenly, I see something out of the corner of my eye. It was like a moving shadow. I walk faster and hope this is still the right path. One thing is for sure, I'm not alone anymore.

"Go away. Whatever you are, please go away," I say out loud.

My stomach rumbles. I haven't eaten anything today. I'm also thirsty. Maybe that is the problem, my blood sugar is low or something and I'm hallucinating.

I stop to catch my breath and feel terrified when I see more shadows between the trees. I take a few steps back and fall over tree roots. My hands hurt and are probably scratched, but I can't take my eyes off of the shadows.

They get closer and I try to scream but nothing comes out. My mouth is completely dry and I'm petrified with fear. The only noise is that of snapping twigs and the breeze between the branches. I shut my eyes and resign myself to the end of my life.

Then I hear a snorting sound. I open one eye and feel surprised. In front of me are three deer. A nervous laugh starts in my throat.

"Deer and birds, even a fucking squirrel. You wouldn't know a place where I can stay for the night," I say to them.

The beasts give me a dumb look and continue their way.

"Talking to animals. First phase to madness complete. What is next... talking to a tree maybe? Plenty of them here so I can organize a convention and deliver the main speech. Now all is left are the bunnies and owls,"

A loud hoot disturbs the calm and I clutch my chest. At least I didn't die of fear or a heart attack. I look at the blood print on my shirt. My hands are badly scraped. I open my backpack and get out two tube socks to wrap around my hands.

I lay back on the tree trunk and close my eyes. I'm exhausted and don't feel well. I need water or I will never make it. When I open my eyes again, I see what looks like light in the distance. I carry my bag once more with the last of my strength and follow it. I hope it exists and that my mind isn't playing dirty tricks.

As I get closer, I see a wooden building. The light comes from a set of emergency lights. I circle it and find a large door. I feel relieved when it opens without any effort.

Lights turn automatically as I walk inside. I'm in a stable. Two horses show their big heads as I pass by their boxes. At the end of the hall is a sink... water.

I open the faucet and drink the precious liquid. I let it run over my burnt neck and my head. Water drips everywhere as I stand straight.

A soft humming noise comes from nearby and I follow it. In a room I find what looks like a kitchen. The noise comes from a fridge. As I open it, my stomach does a somersault of joy at the sight of apples and carrots.

I pick an apple and bite into it. It tastes funny but I'm so hungry I take another greedy bite. I feel if I'm about to faint and support myself from a wall.  I don't know if it's the lack of food, the sunburn or the exhaustion. The room looks suddenly blurry and everything darkens.