Chapter Sixteen: Unsteady Alliances

Start from the beginning

“How many died?” it was the only thing he said and he kept his eyes down as the words left his lips, the thought of the innocent getting caught up in the fighting plagued his mind mixing in with the haze of exhaustion that still drowned his senses.

“Seven of our own, four Cyturion’s and the news stations are saying at least a hundred and twelve civilian’s confirmed dead with more still missing. I know that you’re tired Taylor but there’s something we need to do and it can’t wait” said Mylar cautiously.

“Are you mad?! Look at him, he can barely stand let alone do much else and you expect him to..” Kimiko’s words were cut short by Taylor’s hand resting on her shoulder.

“It’s okay, I’m sure Mylar wouldn’t ask me if it wasn’t important. I’ll be fine and before you say anything yes I know I’ve said that before but hey I’m still alive aren’t I. I’ll be back in no time, now give an old man a hand” he chuckled as Kimiko tried and failed to resist the smile that crept over her lips before they locked Taylor’s in a vice like grip threatening to never let go even though she knew that she had to.

“Come on then, if you insist on being so bloody stubborn all the time” she replied, taking to her feet and offering her hand for Taylor to grab onto. His hand latched on hers allowing him to haul himself up until he was stood straight with his eyes meeting Mylar’s.

“I’m guessing we aren’t off to fight a battle because I’m a little restricted in that sense” he said another laugh escaping his lips.

“Nothing quite so perilous, we’re actually off to see the prime minister” said Mylar with a smirk.

“Oh is that all? Well if they do try to shoot us I’ll ask for it to be quick, I’m sore enough as it is. Could you go find Jamie for me, he should be with Darrell and bring him too” asked Taylor planting a peck on Kimiko’s cheek, just before she hurried off further into the cave in search of Jamie and Darrell.

“This is something we need to do, if we don’t try to reach out to the people then they’ll only assume that we’re all out to get them. But thanks to someone out there they might not as it turns out someone filmed your heroics today, with luck we can use that to persuade them and explain what they don’t know” said Ryne.

"Hmm. I'm not overly surprised being in the twenty-first century it's not something easily avoided, to be honest until the battle at Lavernock point I'm shocked we haven't been exposed before" he replied nonchalantly stretching out his back and arms relishing in the pop he received from his efforts. 

Footsteps echoed down the cave signalling the return of Kimiko with Jamie and Darrell, they both seemed in joyful spirits and were laughing despite the state of things, it was a good thing for the three leaders awaiting their arrival. 

"So I hear that were off to see the most powerful man in the country, well if you judge him by money and influence not by the ability to burn cities to the ground" smirked Jamie. Over the last couple of days Jamie had been returning to his old self more and more, ever since his and Taylor's smoothing over things had gotten much better for him. 

"We are, but we need to be careful. The last time one of our kind was there he killed this man’s predecessor, so let me do the talking until I say otherwise and no showing your flames unless threatened. I don't want to find out if any of us are bullet proof" joked Taylor half-heartedly half worrying about being shot at. 

They all nodded in agreement and were ordered by Taylor to the mouth of the cave, he followed shortly after sharing a goodbye kiss with Kimiko and hated how it was becoming a habit him leaving her behind so often. The light of day had almost crept into hiding over the horizon as the promise of nightfall loomed ever nearer as the five Arturion’s gathered at the mouth of the cave, their flames roar up about them masking them from sight until they had vanished into the ever encroaching darkness.