Chapter 5: Lunch With Malfoy

Hermione woke with a start, panicking about being late for work, but she remembered the Ministry had given Hermione the day off. They had seen the Daily Prophet article about Ron and Hermione's breakup and felt sorry for Hermione. So they gave her some time to recover.

She groaned in her pillow and rolled over, closing her eyes to go to sleep again. Hermione remembered having dinner the night before with Harry and Ginny and their big announcement. Ginny was going to have a baby. That's what Hermione had wanted for quite a while now. To have a child with Ron. But that was never going to happen now.

And as she realised this, she remembered she had lunch with Malfoy today. Hermione glanced at the clock next to her bed. It was 9:00. She still had a couple of hours before lunch.

Hermione climbed out of bed and shuffled into the kitchen, her eyes still heavy with sleep and started making breakfast. 

She sat down at the table with coffee and the breakfast she made, an owl flying through the pen window and dropping a letter. Once checking Hermione had received the letter, the small owl changed its direction and flew back out the window and into the morning light, it's soft feathers gleaming.

She tore the letter opened and read what was written on the parchment.

Granger,

Meet me in Diagon Alley around lunchtime today.

D.M.

Hermione set the letter down and continued eating the food she had prepared mere minutes ago.

She placed the dishes in the sink and walked into the bathroom for a shower. Hermione turned the water on, adjusting so it was the right temperature for her, stripped her clothes and hopped in.

She washed her hair with shampoo and conditioner and her body with soap, rinsing herself one more time before turning the water off and wrapping a towel around her body and walking into her room to put some clothes on.

She chose out a pair of jeans and a pink and white striped t-shirt. Hermione brushed her hair and put it up in a ponytail. She checked the clock one more time and grabbed her wand, slipping it into her pocket and her keys before she apparated into Diagon Alley.

Witches and wizards of all ages were walking and down the streets, staring at products in the store Windows and chatting happily with their friends and families.

Hermione over everyone's heads. She instantly spotted a shocking blonde one and knew that it was Malfoy's. No one had hair that blonde unless they were a Malfoy.

She forced her way through the crowd, muttering apologies for bumping into people and, 'Excuse me' the whole way. Just as Malfoy turned around, obviously searching for Hermione, she made it past the last group of people before standing in front of him.

"Hi," they said at the same time. Hermione looked down at the ground, trying to figure out what to say or do now. Draco smirked at her silence, but didn't look away.

"I found a small café where we can gave lunch," Malfoy said, rubbing the back of his neck nervously,  breaking the awkward silence between them, a small smile on his face.

"Well, erm - we should probably go then," Hermione said, walking away in the direction of the café, not even waiting for Malfoy to reply, but he trailed behind her all the same.

Past Quidditch Supplies, past Flourish & Blotts and the apothecary, witches and wizards walking in and out of the many shops, and ended up in front of the newly opened café that still no one seemed to notice.

But they did seem to notice Hermione and Malfoy together. Everyone that walked past stared at them. They probably thought it was strange considering Hermione and Malfoy had despised each other at Hogwarts ever since the first year. And now they were talking to each other without insults. But these people didn't know how Hermione and Malfoy had been paired together due to the Marriage Law. All the ars walking by we're lucky. They probably didn't have to marry anyone they hated during school. Ginny and Harry were exceptionally lucky. They had already been in a relationship with each other and they had been paired by the Ministry. And Hermione had wound up having to marry Malfoy. And have a child with him. Even thinking about it made her shudder.

Hermione pushed the thought to the back of her mind and focused on the present. Malfoy grabbed her hand and pulled Hermione into the small café. When he grabbed her hand, warmth and a tingly feeling shot up her arm. Hermione almost gasped from the sudden feeling but it was gone and soon as it had started. She looked up to Malfoy's face but she didn't see any shock or surprise on his face. He was either ignoring it or didn't notice it at all.

There were only a few people inside the café, but they seemed to be happy with the food and drink they ordered. Hermione and Malfoy chose a table away from everyone else. The waitress walked over to their table and wrote down their orders and went behind the counter to prepare it.

While they waited for the food, Malfoy and Hermione decided on playing 20 questions to get to know each other a little better.

Malfoy asked a question first. "What's your job?"

"I work in the Department of Magical Accidents and Catastrophes. What's your job?"

"I'm a Healer at St Mungos. What's your favourite colour?"

"Red," Hermione answered. But before she could ask Malfoy another question, he interrupted her.

"Gryffindor princess." He was wearing the famous Malfoy smirk.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "What's your favourite food?"

"Chocolate. What's your favourite flower?"

"Rose."

Before they continued playing, the waitress came over with their orders. While they were waiting, Hermione asked him another question. "Why did you become a Healer?" Curiosity was evident in her caramel brown eyes.

Malfoy looked up from his food and flicked his gaze so it was on Hermione. "During the war, I saw how many families and friends were hurt when they saw the people they cared about were never coming back to them. And I wanted to at least try and help people at St Mungos."

Hermione almost choked on the sandwich she was eating when Malfoy gave her that answer. It had surprised her so much, she couldn't keep the look of complete shock off her face.

Malfoy must've noticed how shocked she looked because he said "Surprised are we, Granger?" Another smirk plastered on his lips.

"Shut up, Malfoy." A blush crept into her cheeks and Hermione suddenly found her food really interesting started eating again.

They finished their food and paid the waitress, then walked out into the bustling streets of Diagon Alley again.

Hermione turned to face Malfoy. "Well, uh, thanks for lunch."

"Anytime. We should do it again sometime."

"Yeah, we should. Well, I better get going. Bye, Malfoy."

"See ya around, Granger."

Hermione turned on heel and apparated back to her apartment and dumped herself on the lounge as she mulled things over in her mind from the lunch, a smile forming on her lips.