9~ Fire Stolen From the Gods

Mulai dari awal

"Is Jake hurt?" she asked.

"Just a scratch to the head. He'll be good to go in no time,"

"What about the bomb?" she asked.

"We figured out their transportation system. They're using the transit lines underground," he replied.

"What a bunch of dogs," she said, eyeing what was left of Rooney's Department Store as firefighters showered it with water.

Meanwhile, Jake kept his eyes on Jenna while she talked with Lex. She was... a strange girl. He'd never met someone who was so resilient... persistent... stubborn. She was almost -- no, she was just like Katie... with a crime streak in her, of course.

"Is she your girlfriend?" the medic asked. Jake flinched as he applied a swab of alcohol over his cut.

"Uh... no. She's more of a -- it's complicated," he replied.

"Those ones are always the killers," he tsked, "My wife just threw me out of the house. Bitch hates me, but at the same time, she loves me. And I love her... damn shame,"

Jake scowled, "No offense man, but I'm not a bar tender," he said.

"Jake!" Jake suddenly found himself engulfed in a hug, surrounded by the smell of... apples and cinnamon. He suddenly remembered when he'd come home after weekend baseball games, sweaty and tired, and his mom would make apple pie, just the way he liked it. The smell made him feel safe. He didn't react at first, but he slowly reciprocated and hugged her back, tightly.

"Are you okay?" she asked him.

"Yeah... I mean... yeah," he stammered again, he kept doing that.

"He just has a small cut to the head, he'll be fine though," the medic said. Jenna gave him a strange look.

"Uh... thanks," she said, "Do you mind?" the medic scowled and jumped out of the truck, while Jake chuckled a bit and pulled back from Jenna.

"How about you? Are you okay?" he asked her.

"I'm fine," she nodded, "You look like crap, though,"

"Well, that's what getting blown up does to you," he replied.

"Right, I know but... I'm just glad you're okay," she took a deep breathe, "I mean, it looked like a mushroom cap, you know?"

"It sure didn't feel like one," Jake groaned as he stood up, "I need my gun back,"

"Uh, stop. Where do you think you're going?" she asked him.

"To do my job," he pushed passed her and went to get his gun and badge back.

"Jake, you just got blown up! You might have a concussion," she said.

"That's not what the medic said,"

"Yeah, well, Doctor Doolittle seems to say a lot of things other than what's wrong with you," she said.

"Lex!" Jake marched up to him, "I'm good, I need my gun back,"

"You haven't been cleared yet," he said. Jake sighed heavily.

"Come on, man. I've already been out for a whole day, I can't opt out now," he said.

"But you might have a concussion! You should get checked out at the hospital!" Jenna said.

"I didn't ask you for your opinion," he said.

"She's right. You should take a couple hours at least," Lex said. Jake got angry again, he clenched his fists, feeling just as frustrated as he did that first day, when Lex told him there was no getting out of the cordon.