"Now, keep in mind, these were completely random, I literally closed my eyes and pointed to names on my class roster. So don't be angry if I didn't pair you with your best friends."

Louis crosses his arms and leans back in his chair, trying his hardest not to send Stevens his patented dirty glare.

It's quite hard to keep a straight face.

Louis settles for glaring at the surface of his desk instead.

"Since I'm an oh-so generous teacher, I've decided to give you the entire class period today to prep with your partner and choose the people you're going to write about, and the common theme that ties them together. You may even have the time to get started, and I'd advise you not waste it; this project is going to be due next Friday, so you don't have too long to get it done."

Harry turns around in his seat, leaning over towards Louis. He opens his mouth like he's about to say something, but then gets a confused look on his face, and doesn't.

"What?" Louis whispers. Harry tilts his head to the side. "I forgot."

"Dork."

"Not even."

"Yes even."

"No."

"Very even, actually."

"Stop."

"Bye."

"Oh."

"Mr. Styles!" Stevens calls out, and Harry whips around in his seat. "Sorry," he squeaks quietly, and Stevens glares at him a bit before turning back to the class.

Louis tries his best to muffle his giggles. 

It doesn't work. When Stevens is turned away, Harry turns around to smack his arm.

"When I call out your partner, please move to sit with them. Abrams, Goldstein!"

Louis starts messing with the hem of his t-shirt, dreading the moment his name is called. He hates partner projects -- when he can't choose his partner, that is.

"Tomlinson, Grimshaw!"

And this is why.

Louis swallows thickly and turns around toward where Nick sits, and Nick gives him a small nod in acknowledgement. Ew. 

"Styles, Horan!"

Oh.

Um.

 Well.

Louis makes eye contact with Niall, who's got a shit-eating grin on his face. Fuck. 

Harry's already lugging his things over to where Niall sits, and Louis wants to punch himself in the face. 

He can see Nick watching him expectantly out of the corner of his eye, but no. Louis Tomlinson does not move to please the Nicks of the world, thank you very much. 

By the time Nick has finally put two and two together (yeah, surprising, right?) and has come over and sat in the seat next to Louis, Stevens's booming voice is reverberating around the classroom once more. "Sorry it seems I made a mistake here! I misread the partnerships; Horan, you're partners with Grimshaw. Tomlinson, it's you and Styles. My apologies for the mistake."

He can feel Harry's eyes on him already, and Louis's trying so hard not to blush. He ducks his head instead, writing "History Project" along the top line of the piece of paper he'd gotten out for sketching out ideas.

"Sorry Nick, this seat's taken," Harry's voice rumbles from someplace much too close to his ear, and Louis's heart stutters. Isn't he supposed to be over this by now?