Black Angels

I force Piper, my Staffy, into the small hole in the wall. I follow shortly, and hold my breath, as the city of Nutgrove marches past, their minds blank.

Piper begins to whine, nudging my arm with her wet nose.

"Just wait a little Piper, once they go past we can get back home."

She stares at me with a hint of sadness in her eyes. She whines even more, headbutting my arm this time. All of her whining had begun to attract close Black Angels. They crowd around the hole, reaching in at us, groping without thought.

There must be another way to get out of here. We have to get back home and pack up. The horde's move from city to towns, and the towns to the cities. They just wander from place to place. Whether there being a meal or just noise. They always want something, and they're not afraid to take it.

Ever since the bullets began being shot, there was nothing but panic.

The military and the local police stations blocked off the towns and tried to Quarantine them. But there was always someone who got in, undetected.

But that was more than twelve months ago. Time flies when you don't know it.

The Black Angels give up quickly, Piper stopped whining, and they couldn't find anything worth the trouble. They shuffle back to join the Nutgrove march. Piper nudges me again, this time pushing my head away with her snout.

"Let's go home."

I move past Piper, and quickly scan the minuscule room, searching for anything useful. Once an old shop. Shelves, scattered boxes, some trolleys here and there, the pay counter. Back when things were better.

One door, facing the march, as well as a few windows. A tiny window however, sits behind the counter, the glass dusty. Probably just enough room for me to fit, if I take off my bag.

I jog over, Piper prancing over behind me, and slide off my bag. I open the window, and peer out, watching the Black Angels walk right past. I push my bag out, my hand firmly grasping the strap. I stare out at the march and let the bag fall to the ground. The muffled sound of metal against metal makes enough noise for a whole chunk of the group to break off, and head over.

"The tins! Get ready to run, Piper!"

She softly barks in reply. I've grown used to her signals. I bend over and pick her up, letting her jump out of the window. I watch her slide one strap over her head, and drag the bag behind the building. All I have on me is my knife, and my silenced pistol, with barely any bullets. I can't risk it, not now.

The sound of glass smashing and rotting wood crumbling snaps me out of thought. I spin my head around and watch as the front windows and door break apart, letting the chunk of Black Angels inside.

I jump up and poke my head out of the window, my right arm out too, pushing against the wall. The shocking realization hits me right then.

I'm stuck.

I push and push, not giving up, I can't abandon Piper now.

I push and push, the small window trying to keep me in place.

I feel a cold bony hand wrap around my ankle, as the unnerving moans from behind chill me to the bone. I struggle, kicking and thrashing my legs around. I feel the grip loosen and the dry ground meet with my face.

I'm free.

I rub my face, dusting off any dirt that remains. I look up and stare into the gaping eye socket of a Black Angel. I push him back, staggering him. I grip the handle of the pistol, and shoot it in the head. A woman stumbles over to me, falling to the ground then crawling. I aim, and shoot her in the head. I hurriedly stand, and watch as more and more of the Nutgrove march breaks away, following the ones before them.