Letters and a weird new friend

I was running towards the bridge after overtaking Fred and George as we ran away from Filch, it was just after dinner and we had half and hour before curfew. I got to the grounds and as I was running a small piece of paper floated down. With my quick movements I snatched it from the air and walked towards a large tree glancing down at the paper. It was a photo in Black and White of a girl sitting on a mans lap. And that Man looked exactly like Dumbledore. They were both waving and the little girl was laughing happily. I flipped it over to find words on the back,

For my beloved Remus,

I'll miss you a lot this year. Especially seeing as your going so far away and Dad won't let me leave the Dragon sanctuary because of Black. He says it's to dangerous as i'm a very large target for any of Voldemort's supporters.

I hope you have an amazing time teaching all the little kids school stuff. I remember how much of a dream it was for you to teach.

I also hope that Snape isn't giving you to much trouble. I wonder if your regretting the decision to refuse my offer to send a letter his way. I still don't know why Dad hired him.

If you see Harry and Lyla at school make sure to keep an eye on them. I'm still ready to destroy the ministry when I can get my hands on them.

I stopped there as it seemed the letter was private and I already felt bad for reading the first few lines. I flipped it back looking at the picture. Although it was Black and White I could tell that the small girl was sitting on Professor Dumbledore but I had never had information on wether Dumbledore had a child or not. I knew i'd have to return it to Professor Lupin so my mind agreed to slip it under his door and run.

Although it seemed like an okay idea I wasn't prepared for the bad to happen and the door to open or for Lupin to come down the hall as I was doing it but I was prepared to take my chances. I was speed walking down the hall with my head down which turned bad for me as I bumped into someone.

"I'm sorry" I said looking up from the floor and seeing Draco Malfoy. The one person I was so confused about. He had been so mean to me but now he was turning himself to be nice to me.

"No, i'm sorry" He said sticking his hand out. I took it reluctantly and he pulled me up with ease.

"Um, why are you being so nice to me?" I said abruptly with a confused look. He just shrugged.

"I do what I like most of the time, and i'm trying to follow my mothers words and be nicer to people" He said nodding but still keeping the straight face he always had.

"Ooookaaay" I said nodding slowly still completely lost. "Wait a minute, but your being nice to me, of all people me, even though I punched you, you know, remember" I said prompting him just in case this was all an act.

"How could I forget that, people do things when prompted too" he said swiftly.

"Ummm, okay, well I need to go and ask Professor Lupin something, maybe we'll bump into each other again" I said with an overly fake cheerful voice. "Like we seem to be doing a lot" I muttered at the end.

"Probably, see you Lyla" He said walking off. My eyes widened drastically when I realised that instead of using the usual last name 'Potter' to address me he had used my first name.

"Have I fallen and hit my head, am I going insane" I said shaking my head to try and get myself to wake up.

"The first sign of insanity is talking to yourself" A male voice said from down the hall, repeating the words I first heard just seconds before I found out I was a witch. "Funny how we keep ending up finding each other in this one hallway" Professor Lupin said as I turned around.

"I'm not really going insane am I" I asked gripping my head in fear.

"Not that i'm aware of, although I must say, to many you would look insane standing alone in a corridor muttering to yourself and gripping your head" professor Lupin chuckled.

"Thank Merlin" I sighed in relief.

"Anyway, what brings you to this corridor" he asked curiously looking down at me. I took a deep breath and ditched my plan, pulling the photo out.

"This floated down and I caught it, I saw it said your name so I thought I would return it" I said in one breath handing over the photo. Professor Lupin took it gratefully.

"Thank you, I thought I lost it, means a lot to me this letter does" He said letting out a long breath.

"It's really no trouble, lucky thing I was down in the grounds than" I said. "Well, thats all, i'll leave you to your tasks, have a good day Remus" I smiled.

"You to Lyla" He said walking straight into his office clutching the letter with a light grip that was still tight enough to stop the letter from falling.

"Well, that was an eventful day" I said before looking down and realising it was already half an hour past curfew. "May Merlin help me" I said before I heard a small knock on the wooden floor. I narrowed my eyes around before seeing a black tail round the corner.

"Gosh darn it Sirius" I whispered before sneaking around after it. I came across the Black dog hiding behind a pillar and I rolled my eyes. "Psst, Sirius, what in Merlins name are you doing in the castle" I said watching as the Black dog flipped its head around before walking off and into a room. I followed it in before my mouth was grabbed and I was flung backwards. Unable to scream I turned my head meeting Sirius' eyes.

"Stay quiet Little Lyls, it's dangerous for me to do this" He said releasing me and sneaking down and behind the teachers desk. I followed him underneath.

"Siri..."

"Don't say my name, call me Snuffles" he said shushing me. "Listen, i'm here to get Pettigrew, if that cat can't do it then I can" he said with a determined look.

"But Sir... Snuffles, you can't just break into the Gryffindor common rooms, you don't know the password, last time you ripped the fat ladies portrait she had to be swapped with Sir Cadogan" I shuddered. "He's horrible, he changes the password at least twice a day for a challenge"

"Well thats the least of my problems, I need to kill Pettigrew, he ruined my life, and yours for that matter" Sirius said urgently.

"But i'm not giving you the password" I said crossing my arms stubbornly.

"I don't need you to" He said taking a piece of paper from his pocket that had the password on it and several other words scattered down it. My eyes widened and before I could stop him the dog was off.

"Oh God, what have I done" I said standing up and running towards the Gryffindor common room as fast as I could. But before I could reach it there was a yelp and I was thrown back into the ground.

"Lyla?" Draco said looking at me. I inwardly sighed.

"Yes Mal... Draco, it's me" I said stopping myself from saying his last name as he was taking the curtesy to say my first name. This action made him smirk and I rolled my eyes.

"What are you doing out of bed?" He asked raising his eyebrows.

"Nothing that concerns you" I responded with a smirk of my own before standing up and brushing myself off. I stuck my hand out to help him up and saw the surprise on his face. I was even surprised by my own action. He took my hand and I helped him up.

"Thank you Lyla" He said happily.

"Ummm, no problem?" I said questioning myself.

"Well, I best by on my way" He said walking off in the opposite direction. "Goodnight Lyla"

"Goodnight Draco" I said surprising myself once again as I was being nice to the one person who I had hated for two and a half years of my life. But it was better than being friendless.