Blue

*****San Martin Outskirts. 3:00 a.m. Date Unknown.*****

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heavy downpour nor treacherous lightning did not prevent Jade from braving the outdoors. Althea tried her best to talk her out of it, but Jade was determined to make the plan work. In the end, the nursing assistant accompanied her while Ate Linda stayed indoors. The rattled nurse could only pray for her companions' safety as she watched the women disappear in the wet darkness. 

Prickling rain felt like ice water against their skin. They were drenched with rain water from head to toe and they carried nothing with them but Tatay's flashlight. The way to the tree was steep and slippery. One wrong step and the plan, or their life, will be over. 

Jade lead the way and Althea followed behind. The tall tree stood on top of a hill a few meters away from the house. After a few minutes of treading the slippery slope, the scent of burning rubber wafted in the air. They finally reached the hill top.

The hill was thick with smoke and fog. Suddenly, a stream of rain splattered on the hill top and a gust of wind followed. Jade and Althea held on to each other.

"Althea, give me the necklace." Jade's voice echoed in the air.

Althea handed over the dove pendant which Jade tossed near the tree. Lightning started to flash across the sky.

"Jade, quick let's get of here!" She grabbed the other girl's arm and ran.

It only took seconds for another lightning bolt to flicker across the sky. The two women held hands as they slid against the muddy ground for safety.

As soon as they reached the bottom, brilliant lightning snaked across the skies and struck the same tall tree mercilessly. A surge of electricity come rushing forth from its peak to its exposed roots holding the dove pendant.

Jade and Althea lay on the ground, unable to move. Tiny sparks of white and blue flickered around the hill. While ear-splitting thunder echoed across the heavens, scaring the two women even more.

But like a miracle, the rain suddenly stopped. Althea was still holding Jade's arm when she lifted her head from the ground. 

"Jade.. are you okay?" She asked worriedly.

Jade moved her head and opened her eyes. Brown orbs met pools of black once more and lingered for a while. They gazed at each other until a smile formed across Jade's dirty face.

"I'm fine. Come on, let's get the necklace." She stood up and helped Althea regain her footing. The later was closer to the hill and felt the electricity more intensely than the former.

Brief flashes of lightning lit up the area from time to time. But unlike before, the storm clouds were gone.

Luckily, the flashlight was still working. Jade held on to it firmly as they climb up the hill once more.

They found the necklace on the exact spot where they left it. It smelled like smoke. But its pendant glowed. It radiated a luminous shade of blue, brighter than the flashlight's lens.

Althea picked up the chain using a twig she found on the ground.

"It's too bright, we need to hide it or someone might spot us here."  She said anxiously.

Jade tore off her shirt's tattered sleeve and covered it with soil. "I think the metal's quite cool, but I don't want to take any chances. Put the necklace here."