Rescue

Tent City. 1:05 p.m. December.

*************************************

Unlike the other boxes, Althea's casket has two tiny holes on each side which serves as an airhole. Her skin felt cold to touch, even her heart seemed to have stopped beating. The pale girl could easily pass as dead to anyone who hasn't heard about the wonders of Xenatin. 

Migoy frowned at sight of his sister's motionless form.

"Don't worry, she's just asleep." Joy interjected as she gazed at boy in crutches.

"I'm not. I just want get out of here." Migoy snarked. He leaned against the wall as his wound start to throb.

Joy went closer and tapped the side of the box.  

"Help me close it." She said. 

The metallic cover was heavy. It took a few minutes before the injured boy could lift it so Joy decided to assist. They were about to close the box when Joy ordered Migoy to stop.  

"This wouldn't have happened if you had chosen me. What I'd give to be her." Joy said in remorse as she gently cupped the sleeping girl's cheek.

Migoy laughed in amusement.

"You're not her type. Get over it! "  

Joy frowned.

"I didn't ask your opinion. Close the box!" She ordered and stormed out of the room.

Joy rushed to her tent and took out the notebook under her pillow. It was Jade's diary. She was trying to decipher it for the past days but to no avail.

Jade will be there any moment soon. She will do anything I ask.

It was already dusk when a she heard a knock on the door. She opened the door and was greeted by a saluting soldier.

"Ma'am. She's here."

"Good. Wait for me in the Big Tent. Secure her." Joy's heart pounded in excitement. The soldier nodded and left his commander on her own. 

The captain reached for the notebook where she left it, but to her surprise it wasn't there. She searched everywhere but she couldn't find the thing. In no time, Joy created a mess inside the tent while trying to find the notebook.

"Where is it!!" Joy exclaimed exasperatedly. She's already wasted 20 minutes trying to find the mischievous thing and Jade is currently waiting to be interrogated in the tent.

"Forget it!" She shouted in annoyance.

Jade. You will tell me everything. With or without your notebook!

Joy slammed the door and hurried out.

Inside the big tent were two of Joy's soldiers, guarding the hostage while waiting for their Captain's command. Both of them saluted their officer as soon as she entered the room.

Jade was sitting calmly in the middle of the room. She was tied to a wooden chair which made it hard for her to move. The soldiers found her hiding behind a giant tree after a few hours of hide and seek. She surrendered immediately when they told her that Joy has Althea captive in Tent City. 

"Welcome to Tent City Ms. Jade." Joy greeted her cheerfully like it's the most normal thing in the world.

Jade met her captor's gaze with a cold stare.

"It's nice of you to lend me a chair. I'm flattered." She replied sarcastically. 

"Anything to make my guest feel comfortable." The officer smiled amusedly.