Paradise Without Happiness

Chapter 14: Paradise Without Happiness 

The sound of doors breaking off hinges woke me from my nightmare. I screamed and shot up, my hair sticking to my sweaty body. I could hear Kayden showering, so it relaxed me to know he was safe.

They were attacking.

I didn't even wait for my mate. I shot open the door to see a huge, rust colored wolf crouched down in front of me. He snarled and nipped his teeth at me, keeping me inside the room. It was Ashton. I easily side-stepped him, even when he bit my leg.

The house was a mansion, so it had plenty of room inside it to hold dozens of 1v1 fights. Some had 5v1 fights, but of course we were winning. I suddenly heard a little girl cry from below me. She continued to scream as I started down the stairs as fast as I could and onto the fourth floor. As she came into view, two wolves got into jumping position.

I shifted and jumped on them both, knocking them over. When they both laid there for a second, I nudged the girl on the back softly to run. Before she left, she kissed behind my ear and bolted. I turned back to the wolves, watching as they slowly stood. I knew who they were. They were friends on my parents before we left the old pack. But when I looked into their eyes, it wasn't warm anymore.

I went for the female first. She was bigger than me, but weaker. The only reason she probably came was because of her husband. She didn't fight me as I ripped her throat out, but she howled for help. The male fought, though. And he was rough. By the time I was done with them (which wasn't long), my white coat was covered in warm blood.

I could feel him trying to link with me. My eyes met his soft gaze and I was sucked in. His eyes wavered from protective to loving and if I were human now, I would have blushed. I opened up my mind to him and then I was seeing images.

Like he'd done before, he sent me his view. I saw myself, cornering this wolves and shifting. The shift was utterly beautiful, graceful. I looked beautiful. The images ended and I was staring back into his light eyes. I reached up and touched my nose to his.

'you're always beautiful. Even when fighting for your life.' he said softly in my head.

A stray rogue hopped out of the woods and stopped when she saw us. She limped and was covered in blood stains. Kayden instantly stood in front of me, away from the rogue. But when she bowed her head to him, I barked and trotted to her with him growling behind me.

'Get over here now, Jamie.' he used his Alpha voice that made me flinch, but it didn't work on me. The voice never worked on mates. I ignored his defensive growls and pushed the rather large she-wolf towards my house. There was still fighting and my house wasn't covered in broken glass and blood.

I jumped the fence and quickly grabbed the clothes I kept in the bushes. I slid on the basketball shorts and tank top and opened the gate up. She seemed hesitant but perked up when I smiled. It took her a minute, but she slowly came into my backyard and followed me up the two deck steps.

"I'm going to grab you some clothes okay. My parents are fighting with Beta, so you're safe. Hurry up," I whispered. I ushered her into the house and locked the back door as quick as I could. "Here, lay on the couch. I'll be back." Making sure she was comfy and her paw was elevated, I ran upstairs into my room and grabbed just some jeans and an oversized teeshirt. But before I went down, I sniffed them. They smelled like sweat, but it's better than blood.

Running downstairs, the front door opened and I smacked into it. I could feel the blood stream from my nose.

"FUCK," I screamed.

Kayden peeked from behind the door and instantly started wiping my nose with his clean shirt. "Idiot, why'd you run into the door?"

"Why do you walk into houses that aren't yours?"