Emptiness

Chapter 11: Emptiness

The truck ride seemed like it was hours. I tried to clear my mind many times, but it just weighed me down. I tried to sleep, but I couldn't. Kayden sat and rubbed my back, but it didn't help. Finally, we turned the corner into our gated neighborhood and he drove right in, not even needing to type in his number. Pulling into his massive house, he turned off the truck and sat there, silently.

Finally he turned to me and took my chin in his soft fingers, lifting my face to his. My eyes were empty. He saw them and winced slightly, which made me pull back a bit. But he noticed me hesitate and pulled me closer. Looking into his eyes, I noticed how much they looked like Sarah's, and I couldn't look away. Her smiling face flashed in my mind, and my tears overflowed again. I just wanted her back.

Sliding out of the truck on my own, I left him sitting in silence as I crossed the driveway and into his house. It was pitch black inside. Switching a light on, I headed up the wooden stairs slowly. I wanted to shower and get the leaves out of my hair, but I didn't physically have the strength. I opened his bedroom door and found a big shirt of his, taking the liberty upon myself and slid it on.

Laying down in bed, I remembered every little detail about Sarah. How she always smiled when she blushed, how she would let me lay my head on her lap. How I could cry with her when she got dumped. I literally remembered everything. I didn't even try to stop the tears this time. I just let them fall into the pillow as I sobbed quietly, hoping Kayden didn't hear. I knew he would though. He heard everything I did. He saw everything I did. He just knew it all.

Rolling over, I suddenly felt sleep take over me. Everything turned black, and my mind turned off finally.

I opened my eyes to see the sun coming in through the curtains. I'd slept in again, so I guess I wasn't going to school today. Slowly getting out of bed, I saw the pillow was stained with wet makeup and tears. I tried hard not to think about it, the thing that I was crying about, but it failed. Her voice came into my head, telling me to stay happy for her, to live. I knew she would have wanted that. But I couldn't, I couldn't be happy without my sister. The tears came slower this time, as if they didn't want to fall.

I stood up and didn't bother showering. I put on a pair of boxers I found in a drawer and a white T-shirt. I didn't want to get out of bed, I wanted to stay and cry. But I wouldn't get anything done. I didn't even look in the mirror. I put my hair in a ponytail and sat on the top stair, slowly sliding down on my bum. I didn't even have the energy to mindlink Kayden. I finally got to the bottom and didn't have the strength to stand, so I just sat on the bottom step.

I knew he could sense me. The office doors swung open and his eyes landed on me, curled up desperately on the bottom step of the stairs. Kayden just stared at me for a second before kneeling down in front of me. I slowly glanced at him and saw his eyes were red. A pinge of guilt instantly hit my stomach and I felt like vomiting.

Reaching over, I wrapped my arms around his neck and got on my knees, holding him to me. My wolf was howling in pain at the distance I was putting between us, she couldn't stand to see him in pain. Kayden picked me up bridal style, making me gasp softly. Carrying me into his office, he closed the doors and sat back in his seat, me on his lap. I curled up and put my feet up, laying my head on his shoulder as he continued working.

"Are you hungry?" He looked down at me about an hour later and smiled. Even if I tried to deny it, his smile still had the same affect on me. I nodded and he closed off the computer, making sure to turn it off. I jumped off his lap and stretched. I had almost dozed off on him, literally. Running up the stairs on all fours, I grabbed some clothing that I had left over here and slid it on. I was perfectly comfy in his flannel and sweats, but they were too big. I kept his flannel on but slid on my skinny jeans and my vans.