The Prince's Mate - chpt. 1 - Infiltration

Start from the beginning

            "What do you think Burkley?" The golden man asked. An old man appeared before me, he looked at the crumpled piece of paper and then at my face. His eyes widened as he stared at me.

            "It can't be—after all of this time?" He whispered. He reached forward to touch my cheek but I flinched and pulled away. He lowered his hand but continued to stare at me.

            "Do you think it's her?" the golden man urged.

            Burkley suddenly grabbed my wrist and pushed up the long white sleeve. He gasped at what he saw and dropped my arm as if it were on fire. "It's her."

            More cheers erupted and I was pulled over to a large chariot that was pulled by two large horses. All of the sudden, I was thrown into the back of the chariot that was really more like a cage.

            "What about the other women sir?" A soldier asked the golden man. He looked at my face again and smiled crookedly.

            "Let them go, we've got who we have been look for." I watched as the woman of my pack were released, including my sister. As soon as their hold broke, Rayne ran towards me, screaming my name.

            "RAYNE!" I screamed back, I banged against the bars that held me captive.

            "That's my sister!" She screamed at the golden man. The man sighed, looking annoyed.

            "Back down girl, she belongs to another."

            My sister's temper flared, "She belongs to no one, she is my sister not a possession!"

            "This was predetermined before you were born; stand down if you value your life!" The golden man screamed. My sister held her ground in defiance. Alpha blood coursed through her veins, she was definitely not one to cower in fear. She was the type that would take death before throwing away her pride.

            "You cannot take Serena as she is not yours to take. What kind of King's men are you? Since when have the Royal family stolen women from their homes?"

            My golden man snarled, "Take her away!" Two silver soldiers reached forward and grabbed my sister's arms, restraining her.

            "No! Serena I will come for you! I am going to get you back! Just wait for me! I will come!" And then they knocked her out. They laid her down on the ground and I watched silently as Margaret—our pack healer—ran forward and crouched beside her.

            "Take care of her!" I screamed. The chariot lurched and I found myself moving. The old woman looked up at me and nodded, I knew she would.

            I turned around in my seat and rested my head in my hands and weeped. I should have fought harder, but our pack was weak. We were starved by famine and had no strength. I always gave my food to the children, wanting them to grow up strong; it had only resulted in the slow deterioration of my own body.

            "Don't cry, this is going to the best thing that ever happened to you," The golden man snapped. I hadn't noticed he was riding with me until he had spoken. The other soldiers had shifted into their wolves and were running alongside us.

            I glared at him, "You stole me away from my home, this is the worst day of my life."  

            The golden man leaned forward, "You are going to be drowning in riches soon my dear, you will be the happiest femme wolf in the world, drenched in diamonds."