Chapter 9

In the last week alone, they had met with many new allies. First they had met with the First Enchanter, Vivienne. Then they met a strange elf, Sera, full of jokes, that one. Finally, they had met with a Grey Warden, Blackwall he was called.

The First Enchanter had been very graceful, but still ruthless. She was a stunning model of a women, but a bit too headfast. She clung strongly to her beliefs of keeping the Circle together. Of course, Solas did not agree. He came from a time when magic flowed freely, as freely as the breath from your lungs upon exhale. So no, he didn't agree with the Circle, and by default didn't agree with her.

Sera was a curiosity. A little too rowdy, she could be a valuable ally with her "friends", but at what cost? She was childish and hardly ever made sense. She denounced being an elf at every change. Solas was saddened at her shame of being part of the race; they had once been the proudest race. And now..

Blackwall was hiding something. It slid around just behind the black of his eye, but never quite came into focus. Solas could trust him in a battle, but when would that trust run out? There was something sad and off about this Warden.

Between trips Rihari had spent alot of her time flirting with him. She was tempting him with her wanting smile, teasing him with her gentle, accidental touch, but he knew they weren't accidental brushes. He had to figure this out, he kept telling himself that they couldn't be, but then he would smile and flirt back.

Even when she had invited him your scoot his bed closer he had hesitated. He knew what her intentions were, and Creators how he wanted to give in to them. He surprised himself with his strong will, he wouldn't give in. Couldn't give in. At least that's what he told himself.

They made it back to Haven in a horse drawn wagon. They were all a little worse for wear. Dirty and tired, they dragged their weary bodies out of the wagon. Rihari put her hands on her hips and took a deep breath, eyes closed. She looked tired and pale, dirt streaked her brow and cheeks, a smidge of green dotted her chin, grass probably. No matter, she was still stunning. The air around her seemed to be electric anytime he noticed her beauty.

A poof of warm air accompanied her exhale, a little white wisp that was snatched up by the wintry breeze and carried away. He opened his mouth to speak to her, but she started off up the stairs to the Chantry. He snapped his mouth shut and made his way in the opposite direction, down towards the lake. He sat on the edge of the peer and looked over the frozen lake. What was he doing?

...

"Hey, you," she slid into the chair across from him and sat down a piece of bread and a handful of dried fruit in front of her.

"Hello." He smiled faintly and took a sip of his drink. "I had wondered if you would wake this evening."

She raised a brow as she chewed a dried berry. "Yeah? Thinking about me, huh?"

His cheeks blushed. "Usually," a smile threatened to break open across his face.

She grinned and took a bite of the bread. "We have to leave in the morning."

"To go where?"

"The Storm Coast. A mercenary was waiting for me outside the Chantry," she reached over and took a sip of his beer, then sat the cup back down with a teasing little smirk. "The leader of the band, some Iron Bull, wants to join the Inquisition."

"I should prepare my things then?"

"Should you?" She cocked her eyebrow again playfully.

"I would think. Since we've met, you have yet to take a mission without me," he replied. A little grin did break through this time.

"I trust you." Her eyes locked with his. He saw the beginning of care flickering there, and turned his eyes away, biting the inside of his cheek. His heart ached when she looked at him, especially like that. Made it hard to keep the goal in mind.

.....

The sounds of the town waking up pulled him from the Fade. Chatting and clanking of swords, a few splotches of laughter. He clenched his eyes closed hard and rubbed his eyelids with his fingers. The cold air made his eyes dry.

The sun rose up from the east, casting long shadows across the land as it brought along warmth and the promise of a full day. Solas took the stairs down to the tavern slowly. Stretching the sleep out of his legs. The door was already open and people were already gathered inside grabbing a bite to eat before starting the day. He spotted Rihari sitting at the bar.

He strode over and sat down beside her. She looked over to him blankly and then returned to her breakfast of meat stew.

"Good morning," he said to her, wiping his eyes of sleep.

"Morning," Rihari replied curtly. He looked at her curiously.

"Sleep well?"

"Yeah," She said. She turned her head and flashed a flirtatious smile, playfulness sparked in her eyes. "Well, could have been better." His face felt like it might melt off from the heat. He tried not to smile, and bit down on his tongue to keep himself from it. He looked away from her and to the bartender who was retrieving bread from the oven.

A thousand memories of her flitted through his mind at once some with that very smile. When she smiled, it made him forget his purpose. He thought maybe he could deserve her, he could be happy too. Why was any of this important anyway? He could just be with her. He wanted to believe that.

"It could have," He quipped with a flirty tone. It made him think of her back against the window in his room, him lifting up her chin, "You would not lie about such things, hmm?"

Her smile lit up the room, as if the sun itself came down and sat at the bar. His cheeks were still blushed, but he smirked as he saw hers were too. Perhaps they could just be.

By nightfall they had made it somewhere between the Storm Coast and Haven. There was a small forest there where they chose to make camp. The trees would hold in warmth, in the freezing weather. The horses were glad to be out of the elements as well, and they nestled together close to the fire and scratched at the snowy ground. Blackwall threw down a little hay and they seemed satisfied.

Rihari was the first to file off to bed, followed by Cassandra. He and Blackwall sat by the fire a bit longer in comfortable silence. Blackwall was gazing into the fire thoughtfully, like he had just seen something that reminded him of his morality.

Solas cleared his throat. "I will take first watch."

Blackwall blinked and then nodded. "Very well, I will take second in a few hours." He stood and wandered off to the other tent.

There was murmuring and giggling from inside the girls' tent. His ears pricked to be sure. There was a little rustling and then more hushed whispers. He smiled softly as he turned his eyes back to the fire. One of the horses huddled down and tucked it's legs underneath itself. It chewed lazily as another sniffed at its back. Steamy white breath billowed from the beasts' mouths as they puffed.

He stretched out his legs in front of him and watched the fire dwindle, occasionally he poked at it and fed it a few twigs. In return it stayed hot and bright.

When he finally got to lay down, he fell asleep almost immediately. Blackwall coughed right outside the tent. It's the last thing he remembered before the Fade engulfed him.