Chapter 4

She was never going to wake up. How could she? A mortal sent physically through the Fade. It was a feat in itself, but surely she would not live. He was afraid that she wouldn't wake up. That everything had been for naught and the world would end this way, by his hand. It was not supposed to happen this way.

He searched the Fade for spirits that he might confide in, but they had all been driven away by the Breach. He was alone, no one to ask what to do or get advice from. It was the first time in his life that his dreams were empty, and his friends were absent.

He was preparing to flee, to go so far away that it would be awhile for the effects of the Breach to reach him. He would study it from a distance, and prepare to deal with it when it got to him. What else was there to do?

"Hey there, Chuckles." Varric walked over, cleaning his crossbow with a small silky cloth in the process. He and Solas had became somewhat of friends in the past few days.

"Going somewhere?" Solas asked.

Varric nodded towards the Breach. "Demons are spilling out of rifts. Someone has to fight them off."

Solas nodded. "I will come with you."

Varric smiled sadly, considering something. "Seeker?" He turned to Cassandra.

"No. I will meet you there." She explained in a rush. "The prisoner is waking up, I will bring her too. Perhaps, she can close the Breach as you say."

Solas's heart beat hard against his ribcage, threatening to bust out at any moment. He was excited by her words, enthralled actually. She was waking up? Amazing. He couldn't wait to see her. Outwardly, he nodded and said a quick "see you there".

..

"Quickly! Before more come through!" He panted. He took her hand and shoved it towards the rift. It exploded into a mass of blinding green before sealing tight. As soon as the rift was closed she tore her hand from his grasp and held it close to her chest, a look of distrust on her face.

"What did you do?" She asked.

He smiled, his heart hammered in his ears at the sight of her. Alive. All he wanted was to pull her close and tell her how much he had missed her, how sorry he was. "I did nothing. The credit is yours."

She looked carefully at her hand. "The mark did this? How?"

"Whatever magic opened the Breach in the sky also placed that mark upon your hand. I  theorized that the mark may be able to close the rifts that have opened in the Breaches wake- and it seems I was correct." He explained.

Cassandra strode over, sheathing her blade as she did. "Which means it may also be able to close the Breach itself."

Solas nodded. He had a hard time stripping his eyes from her, she was noticing, but he didn't care. "Possibly." A smile. "It seems you hold the key to our salvation." She smiled back, daring to keep eye contact. His breath caught in his lungs when her eyes landed on him.

"Good to know. Here I thought we'd be ass deep in demons forever." Varric strutted over. "Varric Tethras. Rogue, storyteller, and occasional unwelcome tagalong." He winked at Cassandra as he introduced himself and she sneered.

"Are you with the Chantry or-?."

Solas laughed. "Is that a serious question?"
She looked over to him and his heart seemed to stop a second. She smiled softly, she thought he was adorable. He could even tell that much.

Varric tried to hide his smile from Solas's friendly jab. "Technically I'm a prisoner, just like you."

Cassandra grunted and rolled her eyes. "I brought you here to tell your story to the Divine. Clearly, that is no longer necessary."

"Yet here I am. Lucky for you considering current events." He grinned.

"Well, it's good to meet you, Varric."

"You may reconsider that stance in time." Solas jabbed.

Varric rolled his eyes. "Aw." He covered his eyes dramatically. "I'm sure we'll become great friends in the valley, Chuckles."

Cassandra shook her head immediately. "Absolutely not. Your help is appreciated, Varric, but-"

"Have you been in the valley lately, Seeker? Your soldiers aren't in control anymore. You need me." He smiled, satisfied with the fact of her discomfort. Cassandra just made a disgusted noise before stepping a few more steps back from him.

"My name is Solas, if there are to be introductions. I am pleased to see you still live." He watched her face carefully, looking for any signs of recognition, but there was nothing there. She didn't know him, that fact broke his heart. He could never mention the past that she wouldnever remember.

"He means 'I kept that thing from killing you while you slept'."

"You seem to know a great deal about it all." She had a suspicious and curious look.

"Unlike you, Solas is an apostate." Cassandra interjected.

"Technically, all mages are apostates Cassandra." He replied kurtly before placing his eager eyes back on Rihari. "My travels have allowed me to learn much of the Fade. Far beyond the experience of any Circle Mage." He canted his head softly, a smile tugged at his lips. He couldn't help but stare, it was all so surreal. "I came to offer whatever  help I can give with the Breach. If it is not closed, we are all doomed. Regardless of orgin."

"Yeah? And when this is all over?"

He pursed his lips thoughtfully. "One hopes that those in power will remember those who helped and those who did not." He had to physically yank his eyes away from her to address Cassandra. "Cassandra, you should know: the magic involved here is unlike any I have seen. Your prisoner is no mage, but i find it difficult to imagine any mage having such power." He could feel her examining him, he tried to just breathe calmly.

Cassandra nodded slowly. "Understood." She started to turn away. "We must get to the forward camp quickly." Solas forced his legs to move after her.

"Well.. Bianca's excited." He heard Varric joke behind him.

Rihari made her way up to walk beside Solas. She smiled brightly over at him, a smile that seemed to light up the world, making the harsh white of the snow almost unbearable. Creators, her smile broke his heart. "Well, Solas. It appears I owe you my thanks." He wondered if she felt this connection. The look in her eyes said she did, but still.

He chuckled a little at her thanks. If only she knew, that she didn't. All of the problems faced here were his doing.