Chapter Nine

→ Chapter Nine ←

*Jo’s POV*

“I reckon we’re going to find an outfit easy-peasy.” Rose said as we entered the mall. “There are so many shops to go in; I don’t know where to start!”

“I know!” I agreed.

“Hey, check out those guys over there. That one’s wearing a snow hat and sunglasses in the middle of summer, what a nutter!” She nodded towards a guy whose face was mostly obscured by the hat he was wearing, and the massive shades.

“Maybe he’s foreign.” I mused, straining my eyes to try and see his face.

Suddenly, they all rush off in different directions like wild, crazy animals or something.

“Maybe. Or maybe this is some sort of new shopping centre act? Are we meant to throw money at them or something?” Rose suggested, watching one of them dive into New Look.

I giggle at her. “What a stupid suggestion. All they’re doing is wearing bizarre clothing and running around, if they were a sort of act, it’d be a pretty crap one unless they break into dancing or something.”

“Hmm. Whatever you say. How about we try Primark first? We’re kind of heading in that direction anyway. Maybe some more of them will pop up and start their first show.”

I laugh again as we walk into the shop. “That would be funny, I must admit.”

We wander around the shelves, dodging round the random knickers scattered across the floor. It took a lot of effort not to screw up my face. I really dislike Primark, so I hardly come in here. The queues were massive as well, which really annoyed me as I hate waiting around for too often. The only exception would be when waiting for a boy band because of your best friend, of course.

“Find anything?” I ask Rose, who was rummaging around in the £1.50 shirt section.

“Nope, there’s absolutely nothing.”

I sigh. “Should we get out of here then?”

She nods. “Yeah. I hate it in here anyways; the queues are so frustrating to wait in.”

“That’s exactly what I was thinking.”

We quickly go up the stairs onto the ground floor, passing a few old ladies grumbling about their stockings, which I felt was a bit strange.

After going into a few more shops, all with no such luck, Rose slaps her hand to her forehead. “Why didn’t we think of going there?!”

“Where?”

She points to the costume store, the one with all the video game stuff in it. I also slap my hand against my forehead. “Oh my god yes! I completely forgot about this place. Mind you, it’s quite expensive to get an outfit.”

“Well let’s see what they have, maybe they’ve brought their prices down since last time. We haven’t been here since we went to that party as Mario and Luigi, which was quite a while ago wasn’t it?”

I pause. “I guess you’re right, let’s go.”

We pass a couple of those weird sunglass people on the way in, one of which bumps into Rose. He doesn’t bother apologising, as they both seem to be in a rush.

“Bit rude.” Rose says to me.

The assistant who just served us gave us a shrug, as if she didn’t know what to make of it either.

“Are you here for the Pokémon convention too?”  She asks us.

We both nod, a little bit embarrassed. Hey, we’re nerds and proud, but when a girl about your age asks you whether you need a costume for a video game, it’s quite awkward.