Holding Back From Such A Man

Samuel's flirtatious words echoed in my mind as I folded Elsa's sweatpants, Kristoff's North Mountain t-shirt, the book series I'd been reading last night (Samuel wouldn't notice), and the few items he had bought for me in the small cloth bag that had landed beside me when I was stolen from the sky.

"Darling, are you ready to go?" I felt a hot blush crawl up my neck but assured myself it was just a friendly greeting.

"Yeah," I mumbled as I swung the bag over my shoulder. "Let's go."

"Alright, my buddy Jeffrey is driving us, but I may have accidentally threw in some words that caused his wife to get a bit suspicious and, well, she's coming too."

"What? Did you say I was a zombie?"

"Something like that," Samuel replied. His cheeks turned red and I could tell he actually said something along the lines of 'hot babe.' "Listen, they have a minivan since they have a daughter, and she's staying over at a friend's house, so I was thinking they could sit in the front and we can cuddle up in the back." He winked.

"Absolutely not," I said, distancing myself. This guy was too much.

"What's the issue, dear? Why are you holding back from such a-"

"Cut it with the Frozen references. Anyway, what's a minivan?"

"Very funny."

"No, seriously. What is that? This whole time I've been somehow miraculously speaking and understanding English, with the same magic we use for the shows, but it's not helping."

Samuel narrowed his eyes. "What the hell are you talking about?" A large silver car pulled into the driveway. "Oh, there they are. Let's go." He lifted our suitcases and turned the rusty doorknob to run out into the street."

"Where's the minivan?"

"Stop joking around," Sam said with an eye roll. "We don't have time for that. Now get in." He hefted our bags into the trunk.

"Excuse me?"

"I said, get in."

"I have never gotten into a carriage without the aid of a servant."

"You're such a bitch, Anna. Get in the freaking car."

I huffed and climbed through the [love is an] open door of the shiny carriage.

"Hello," a woman with brown hair tied in a knot behind her head and a swollen belly said. "My name is Holly. It's nice to meet you."

"Um, hi, you too. I'm Anna." I shook her hand awkwardly. "And this is Jeffrey?"

"Yes," Holly jumped in before he could greet me. "And he's taken, and we're expecting."

"Whoa, Holly! What the hell?"

"Um... Yeah. Sorry. Never mind. I just..."

"She's the jealous type," Sam clarified as he climbed in beside me and pressed a button that closed the door. Holly crossed her arms and turned away.

Still in a a bit of a fight, we didn't speak for the majority of the drive to LA, so I engaged in polite and uncomfortable with Holly, who most certainly was the jealous type.

Then she dropped the bomb. "So are you and Samuel seeing each other?" the woman asked, her voice sickly sweet.

Sam coughed. "No, we're not, Holly."

"What a shame. Why? Is it the clumpy way he walks? The grumpy way he talks?"

"The pear-shaped square-shaped weirdness of his feet?" Jeff suggested.

I knew they were just trying to be funny with movie references and all, like Samuel had, but the words made my heart long for Kristoff.

"I'm actually seeing someone else," I said quietly. "His name is Kristoff." I heard Sam gasp sharply.

Oh, that's lovely," Holly smiled, glad to hear of my being taken. "Why isn't he here?" I could feel Sam's eyes boring into the back of my skull.

"He's..." I thought carefully about my choice of words. "He doesn't live around here."

"Long-distance? Wow. Well, where does he live then?" Jeff asked politely.

I bit my lip. "Um, he... he lives in Arendelle."

Holly and Jeff laughed. "What a girl. No, really, where does he live?"

I took a deep breath and prepared to tell the truth. "Do you all know how it's all over the news, that Princess Anna of Arendelle was stolen?" They nodded. "Well, that's me. I'm dating Kristoff, and he's waiting for me at home - well, not at home, we were on a trip - but Elsa and Olaf and Sven are waiting for me, for us, and I..." I paused to breathe. "I kinda just landed on the sidewalk. It really happened out of nowhere."

The car was silent.

"That's why we're headed to LA," Sam supplied. I smiled weakly. "Well, we'd better get you back." I couldn't decipher the look on his face.

"Yeah, we'd better," I agree, not sure of what else to say.