Please Don't Slam the Door

The audience of eleven looked at their neighbors nervously. This movie definitely wasn't going the way it was supposed to. It wasn't long before a tall man in a worn suit rushed in. He startled us, so much that the 21-year-old ended his sweaty grip of my hand and my head jerked up from where it had rested on his shoulder.

"Excuse me, I apologize for the inconvenience," the man called into a makeshift megaphone, "but we just received a notification from Disney. Princess Anna of Arendelle has been stolen!"

A lump rose in my throat. That was me.

"If anyone knows anything about the location of the princess, please report to Walt Disney headquarters." He rattled off an address, but I wasn't paying attention. My head was racing.

We left the theater, and I told Samuel numbly, "We need to get to California."

"Are you crazy?" he reprimanded, "You're too weak for travel, and besides, where am I supposed to get the money for a plane ride to freaking Disney World?"

"This is really, really important," I gulped. I didn't think I should tell him the truth, because he would laugh and diagnose me with some mental condition he read in an uncredible book like he'd done every time I had tried to explain.

"Oh, please, Anna. You look like her and you have the same first name. That doesn't mean you're her." Samuel unlocked the door of his little house and we walked to the bedroom.

I began pacing. "If only you knew." I hesitated, my cheeks turning red. "Did I just say that out loud?"

His eyes turned to a mixture of confusion and anger. "If only I knew what?"

"Um, that I've always had a dream of going to Disney World?" I said. I knew he could see right through the lie, but what a gentleman he is, because he didn't act on it.

"Well, whatever. Why don't you change and I'll make us some dinner. We're not going to California."

As I slowly removed the warm clothing he had provided and replaced it with a set of fleece pajamas and a white bathrobe, I couldn't help but feel a little guilty for lying. Samuel was being so kind towards me, yet I'd been nothing but hostile as a guest in his home.

He knocked gently and I twisted the doorknob. "Yes?"

"I'd like to inform you that although you've been a bit of a bitch around me, I think I may be falling in love with you."

He turned around and walked right out of the house.

"Wait, Samuel!" I yelled as I ran after him. "I'll tell you the truth."

He raised his eyebrows. "I am Anna," I whispered. "I'm Anna, and I live in this...animated world, I don't know, I didn't know this place existed. And something happened when I was in a carriage with...with Kristoff." I let out a sob and broke down, falling into Samuel's arms.

"I wish you could be honest with me," he said, a tear rolling down his cheek.

"I am. I swear. Listen, it's true. I guess I was stolen, but we were separated, and I landed on the ground." I was full-on crying now. "I know I lied, and I know I said I liked you even though I have Kristoff, and it was horrible, but I do love you." I sniffed. "Listen, Samuel, I love you. A lot. And I wish I could stay here, I really do. But I need to get to California and get back into my world. There are people depending on me."

He looked at me and something clicked. I could tell he figured out I wasn't lying. "That's great news for me, since I just confessed my love for you and all, but I guess you're right. I'll talk to my buddies and figure something out."

-

After talking to his "buddies," Samuel came home drunk. He stumbled through the door and passed out in the kitchen. When I heard the crash, I rushed out of where I'd been reading in bed, alarmed. I saw him collapsed on the table and breathed a sigh of relief before rolling my eyes good-naturedly and hauling him to the bedroom. I tucked him in, picked up my book and blankets, and migrated to the living room, where I stayed up until 4 AM reading the whole series. What can I say? It was a cliffhanger.

"Anna, wake up," Samuel said in a singsong voice. I opened my eyes slowly, adjusting to the light. It poured in through the tiny window and I figured it must at least be past 8. "It's already eleven," he said, answering my question, "and I have a headache. I never get sick, and I just woke up, too. I'm normally up by seven. You are, too."

"You came home drunk last night. I'm surprised you even got home. And I was up late reading last night."

"Really? I don't remember anything," he replied dubiously. 

I couldn't tell if this was a response to his drunkness or my reading, but I nodded. Both were true. "Go take a hot shower and I'll make you some breakfast." 

He obeyed, so I walked to the kitchen and found some fruit in the fridge. After hastily preparing a fruit salad and two slices of toast, I knocked on the bathroom door.

"Breakfast is ready when you come out," I called through the door to Samuel. He walked out with just a towel wrapped around his waist. My breath hitched in my throat.

"Like what you see?" he laughed. I playfully swatted his arm and walked back to the kitchen to pour him some milk. 

"We're leaving on a train at six," he said from the doorway, "so pack up your stuff."

That should be easy, I thought. I don't have any.

"It's supposed to be hot," Samuel added. "Although that's probably just you."