»» Prologue ««

»» MAE

"So you're just going to leave like this?" Christina beckons, crossing both her arms.

I throw my heavy bag into the back seat of the car and then turn to face her and my two other best friends, Madison and Kaitlyn. They all have pressed lips and they're eyes shimmer with confusion and sadness. I still don't feel a jolt of depression because leaving town couldn't be better for me right now, after everything that's gone down between me and Carson, this is the best. Of course I'll miss my bestie's, but I'm not regretting leaving him.

"Yes, I don't want to fix the problem that I didn't cause." I continue to dump luggage into the car without breaking a sweat.

"C'mon Mae, don't be this way. You know you and Carson are suppose to be a couple, you guys are meant for each other." Kaitlyn whimpers, sticking her hip out in her sassy way.

"Well, like someone quoted to me previously, fairytales don't come true." I spat.

"And what's that suppose to mean?" Madison shakes, her voice caring and worried.

"I mean, all this time I thought I was living a fairytale, but they don't come true. Life doesn't end with a happily ever after."

All of them grow silent because they know now I'm quoting the words Christina harshly told me when things fell apart. It wasn't the brightest part of our friendship and I'm not going to lie when I say that we are still on rocky grounds because of it.

"Carson and I thought something was going to happen, but it crumbled away before we could do anything with it, so I mean it's not even worth trying since I'll be states away anyways." I close the trunk, finally planting my feet in front of the three of them, looking at all of their expressions.

Christina and I have been the crazed theatre girls and enjoy performing on stage whenever we had the chance, with the exception of Christina's ego when it comes to the spotlight, but I still love her. Then don't forget our love of boys, we could talk about them all day if we could, I could always count on her for advice if I needed it. Kaitlyn is my music genius, which is how we fell into a rhythm of sharing our love for music. And Madison is never one to forget, she's been there for me and when it comes to daring and sports activities, she's my to-go gal. We've always had the best time laughing our eyes out over something silly we've done.

Now that I'm truly thinking about it, I'm going to miss my girls terribly. They've been the ones in my life I've always valued, and without them, I'm going to be alone.

"Not even a goodbye to him?" Madison squeaks, afraid to hear my answer.

I ignore her question and hug each girl carefully before saying goodbye and hopping into the car.

"It's better if we don't. It be too hard to finally experience the emotion of actually leaving forever." I whisper in a tiny voice.

"Then why are you saying good bye to us?" Kaitlyn wonders curiously.

"Because I know for a fact we aren't done, we still have years to come and I can promise you I will be back for good one day." I smile softly and slam the door shut.

»» CARSON

"When is she leaving?" Toby asks.

I swallow down the cry in the back of my throat and kick the ball fiercely into the net. The rope swings back and forth from the impact of the ball I just shot in.

"Today." I simply answer with no emotion.

"You didn't say goodbye?" He questions, grabbing the ball out from under the tangled up net.

"It would be too hard to say it. It's over between us and I ruined everything, so why make it worse by saying farewells?" I state, hiding my true feelings.

My stomach swirls with guilt and my legs are numb, making the pain of running for hours less excruciating. Since I woke up today, it's been a constant fight between saying goodbye and leaving it all alone. I have never been too afraid to talk to Mae, she's been one of the only people who I've ever been able to open up fully to, so the fact that I can't work up the courage to say goodbye is scaring me. Her gleaming blue, green eyes and golden hair flash in my head. Then her smile touches my mind with such a stab, my head begins to pound.

"It's just the way things are, I'm really sorry."

Her pained face drops my heart to the floor.

"Yeah, I'm sorry too, Carson."

Stupid. Stupid and idiotic. Stupid and idiotic and clueless. I'm all of that and so much more. But she made me uncomfortable and I had to get rid of her somehow, I couldn't live with it any more. And I miss her, I miss seeing her happy self, I missed recognizing that sweet voice that always seemed to calm me, I just missed Mae Carter.

"Do you think you'll ever see her again?" Toby blurts out without thought.

It takes me awhile for me to reply to such a simple yet complicated question. Finally I suck in some air to talk, "no. We're through so there's no need to see Mae again."

"I like it when you call me ' your girl'." She grins, her lips touching the tips of her eyes.

I smile back in pure admiration, "that's why I always say it."

She blushes and we both sit in silence, and I knew for a fact that we were both thinking the same thing - nothing could ruin what we have.

"Really dude?" Toby quits playing with the ball, surprise washing over his face.

"Mae has no part in my life anymore so drop it." I choke out before running across the field and steal the ball away from my best friend, leaving the thoughts of Mae behind me, just like a glowing memory.

~ Sup everybody! This is the prologue of Childhood Love, a story that's true to my heart. I'm sorry, but none of the chapters are going to be too terribly long, so, sorry if that bothers you for some reason. But anyways!!! Comment and keep reading pls, LOVE YOU ALL <33