Investigation begins.

Sorry for the lack of action, but I wish to keep it realistic.

Two days after the Gruenewald went down. Waterville, Ireland.

The grey dawn was breaking but was obscured by clouds of fog rolling in off of the ocean. The small sea-side town of Waterville was quiet, people were only just rising for the day and would be walking about their homes sleepily. From the ocean also came something else. The fishing trawler whose crew had witnessed the destruction of the Gruenewald zeppelin.

Immediately they had, after searching the area for survivors but finding only wreckage, went back to their port. The ship was slow by modern standards, and older even then, but had made good time. On the way in, they only slowed five times so the motors wouldn't burn out. Now, they were making their way at a safe pace into the harbour, their warning bells clanging as the ship rocked back and forth in the small swells.

Arriving at a long, warped pier, they shut off engines and bumped against it gently as crewmen leaped out to moor the ship safely. As this was being done, one man ran down the pier and disappeared into the morning fog. A seagull flew overhead silently. 5 minutes later, he and two others came running back down the pier. The crew were waiting anxiously on deck with pieces of the wreckage they had salvaged.

"I've brought the Constable and Harbour Master, Captain." he said, panting some.

"Thank you, Robby." he said as they stepped onto the ship.

"What is this I hear about a zeppelin crash?" asked the Constable Henry.

"Constable, sir, two nights ago my men and I be witness to the destruction of a airship."

The two visitors looked at each other and then back at the Captain as he moved aside some and extended his hand towards his crewmens' feet where lay multiple pieces of the downed airship.

Striding toward it, the two men went to opposite ends of the line and squatted to examine the pieces. The Constable picked up a piece of wood on which a brass plaque kindly asked "Please do not smoke." in German and English. The Harbour Master stood and walked to the other man and showed him what was part of the wooden siding of the passenger gondola. Through it were four holes, the rest had broken off and was floating about the Atlantic. He recognized the holes as being from bullets, the edges singed from the heat that bored through the wood easily.

"Constable, surely you know that this has been shot through by a larger gun."

He took it from his hands when offered it, "Yes Joseph, the question is why?" He looked at the captain.

"We don't really know, sir."

"What do you know?"

"Well, Constable, most of my men was just heading in after a smoke to go to bed. I was up on the bridge with a couple other," He gestured towards two men in the line, all seemed nervous. "and one man was still on deck when we heard it.

''From the fog off to port  we heard an engine. Then a minute or two later was this noise of the  guns pouring into the airship which at first we didn't see 'cause it was dark. The aeroplane was hardly visible even, and the heavy fog made it so we only saw parts. Anyway, the aeroplane circled 'bout the ship and poured into it, as I have already said, and flew up like a bird then down at it dropping bombs on it.

''The men from the airship fought bravely, three places on the ship had big guns and went at it with the enemy. One by one, though, they was taken out and one final explosion sounded after the guns fell silent. Then  the action which had taken place way up in the sky was down low again. The airship was burning and falling down to the waters and in the light we saw the aeroplane circle once more, victorious-like, and in that light we could see t'was one of them bi-planes. Bright yellow, and had that black German cross of olden days upon it. You know now they use that red thing, I like the black cross best."

"The Zeppelin that was attacked," the Harbour Master said, "I was listening over the radio the other night when the Brits spoke up to all listening and reported that a German airship named Gruenewalden-- or something like that-- had been attacked and was now missing. This must be it."

"Seems so," said the Constable. Addressing the crowd on deck, he asked, "Does anyone have anything to add?"

A moment passed as they turned heads towards each other, wondering if one would speak up. But none did.

"Very well, I will need you all to fill out a report eventually at the Station. No, no, none of you men be in any trouble, it's just a necessity. I'll send a wagon down to collect this, uh, evidence, 'soon as I get back. You all stay put, if you must leave for shore then return by noon. Any questions?"

"I'm sure we all have the same one." spoke the captain.

"And what is that, Captain?"

"Why did this happen? Germans attacking their own makes little sense."

"We'll solve it. If not us, then another will, I am certain."

"I'm more concerned about it happening again, sir."

"I pray that it not. Now, if you'll excuse me, I best be getting back. Good day, Captain."

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Hours later, the captain and crew were standing and sitting about the Station and were being asked questions; nothing new really came to light. Bristol, who had sent out the message about the Gruenewald, had been alerted and fed the information so far gathered. They'd be sending one or two of their own men to personally examine the wreckage gathered by the crew who would be back out at sea by the time the British could arrive.

"Well, that will be all. Thank you all for being willing to come down and fill out reports."

Willing? Forced. was the captain's thought. They'd have been in great trouble if they hadn't come down and do as they were asked. "It was no problem, Constable, g'day."

"You also, Captain sir."

With that they all left, two rows of men side-by-side, and shuffled out the narrow arched doorway and proceeded to walk back down to the harbour and would then leave back out to sea, but not before noticing they were topped off with petrol and supplies. They'd lost four or five days' fishing to come back and report the incident. Might as well return the favor.

Two men were left in the room, the Constable and his Captain who expelled a long and low whistle then said, "Well, Henry. What make you of that?"

"Of what, sir?"

"The story they spun."

"Spun--you doubt them?"

"Not entirely, but it seems too unlikely that they had gathered such details as to the origin of the attacking aeroplane on a dark, fog filled night as a zeppelin blazed on its way down to the Atlantic."

"Unlikely, but you and I both know unlikely acts are committed often. I find them credible."

"Possibly, but we'll know soon enough. There must be a reason as to the attack of a passenger zeppelin."

"Yes. But I am not seeing why anyone would commit such an act. It could mean war."

"The way the Germans are going I wouldn't be surprised. They sure seem to be building up for one."

The Constable said nothing, in the distance the Church bell sounded the hour was now 1:00.

----------------------------------------------------------