Introductions

“Go away...” I groan. The knocking of the door, ruining my nap. I reluctantly shuffle off of the sofa to answer the door.  The cold air whips me as I open it, but the crisp cold isn’t on my mind for long. 

A girl stands there;  at least I think it is, her face is hidden by her cardigan hood.  As she pulls it back I take an involuntary step back, looking her over before our eyes meet again.   Her wicked green eyes capturing my ever wandering attention along with the sleek black hair that drifts down to her elbows.   

I shuffle off this weird lapse in concentration and pull her into a hug trapping her arms down by her sides.   Feeling her body tense I pull her away and smile brightly.   She looked gobsmacked, I guess she’s not one of those types.  Live and learn.  So I extend a hand politely reigning in my, self named overzealous  personality;

“Hiya! I’m Noelle, Elle, Nelly take your pick! I hope I didn’t scare you there?”  I ask, hoping I really didn’t, I don’t want to scare her off she’s obviously pretty shy.

“Um, no. I just didn’t expect it that’s all. Where’s Rina?” She asks, I assume she’s a friend of hers and show her to the sofa where she slumps down, sitting on her legs.

“Her and Mark are out getting beer.  Do you want tea?” 

“Um, no ta I’m waiting for the beer.” She laughs half-heartedly her gaze fixed to her phone, fingers tapping away at the screen.  My thoughts wander dangerously.  Mentally scolding myself I skip over to the sofa opposite her and sit down, flicking through the channels.   

“You never said your name?” I pipe up, staring at her.

“Oh sorry.  I’m Isla, I work with Rina.” She smiles, raising her eyes from her phone momentarily before zoning out again. 

I give up trying to make conversation and carry on flicking through the music channels.  A few minutes of silence passes before the doors opens and Mark and Rina bustle through, complaining about the cold. 

“Isla! I didn’t see you there.  I see you’ve met Noelle, and take that manky sweater off! You look like an old lady!” Rina comes through waving beer, closely followed by Mark with the glasses. 

“Yeah we’ve been introduced.  Yes mum!” she laughs, the first time she’s smiled with any type of feeling since I opened the door.  She takes off the ‘old lady’ cardigan, revealing a blue denim shirt with a black vest top underneath.  Simple... 

“So who else is joining this party then!” I exclaim holding my mug in the air. 

“Us lot and my mates Glen and Danny!” Mark laughs pouring beer into glasses for Rina, Isla and himself.  He knows I don’t drink anymore so he offers me a refill of tea which earns me puzzled looks from the girls.

“You’re not drinking?” Isla asks, finally finding her voice I see. 

“No, I used to be a party animal, I still am but minus the alcohol!” I smile, Isla just nods and turns back to Rina. 

 “Dude, this song is shit turn it over!” Mark shouts running over to me, whipping the controller out of my hand, in his defence he puts on a pretty decent song.  My head nods to the base beat along with Mark’s, Rina and Isla are in full conversation about an unknown subject.  I don’t really take much notice.

My phone pulls me out of my conversation with Mark, I scramble around my jumpsuit pocket to look at the caller I.D – Mum.  The room goes silent in courtesy of my phone call; my mum’s loud voice echoes through the phone making me laugh.

“What ya laughin’ for? I only said hello!”  She finds herself funny..

“Just you mum. Are you ok?” I ask, I didn’t expect her to call today.

Seasons Of Change (The Script Fanfic)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara