Chapter 1

Alex walked along the streets of Manhattan, New York. She needed to get this job. The past year has been full of anxiety and sadness. Something that needed to be forgotten.

But, she is slowly putting her past behind her and applying for this job. Opening the big doors of Cathwell Publishing was like a fresh start. She could smell the papers and hear all the chatter of workers excitedly talking about their day.

She fixed her skirt and walked up to the receptionist. Mori was a plump woman who was pleasant to new comers. Her hair had slight grey tinge to it and it was neatly placed in a top bun. Her face had some minor wrinkles, but she grinned ear to ear seeing the young woman approach her. Alex gently smiled at her and waved.

"How may I help you dear?" Mori asked with a hint of British in her voice.

"Um, I'm here to interview for the assistant of Jay Cathwell?" Alex softly said. Mori mentally gasped. She didn't expect that. She was hoping she would be here to publish a story. Alex didn't look like any of the bimbos who applied today, she was very different and looked completely different to the people in the building.

Alex had on a long skirt that fit her curves perfectly. Her white blouse was buttoned up all the way preventing anyone from seeing the twins. She wore light makeup and her hair was in a low bun. At the age of 22, Alex was mistaken much younger than that.

Mori slowly nodded as she pointed to the elevator.

"Floor 16, it's the top floor. Turn left and you will see a big door. You won't miss it!" Mori said as Alex walked to the elevator. She gently waved as Mori wished her 'goodluck' to which she replied with a simple thumbs up.

You can do this!
She thought. The elevator ride was slow and each time it hit a floor number her anxiety levels soared through the roof. She hopped off and remembered to turn left. As she was walking, she observes the busy atmosphere with some workers running around like crazy and papers flying everywhere. Over exaggerated, but okay.

Alex walked to the big glass door. You couldn't see through it. It was tinted but very classy. She spotted all the other girls sitting in seats outside of the glass door. They were all checking their makeup and unbuttoning their blouses. Her face cringed, but it immediately changed when they looked up to see her.

Jesus.

She sat down on a seat away from the girls and waited patiently but nervously to get her name called.

----

Jay Cathwell was very pleased at the women who came here to get interviewed today. He wasn't a playboy, but he really like seeing the lengths these types of girls will go to impress him. He simply laughed at the way they would bend over and the way they would pout their lips to make them seem attractive.

His dad, Justin Cathwell, was there with him. Mr. Cathwell wanted to get him an assistant who didn't seem like the type to flaunt their body at his son.
It bothered him how all the girls seemed the same. He sighed.

He examined every girl but he all thought they were here for his looks. He sighed, hoping there is one girl out there who will be smart enough to actually do their job.

That's when Alex came in. Jay opened his mouth to say something sarcastic, but his dad stopped him.

"What's your name?" Mr. Cathwell said with a bit of hope in his voice. She wasn't like the other girls.

"Alex Crystal." She said looking at her flats.

"Here is my resumè." Alex shyly said as she handed both of them a copy. Jay was impressed. He smirked at her which only caused her to roll her eyes. He didn't have an effect on here like the girls did. She simply was here for a job and a job she was willing to get at all costs.

Mr. Cathwell saw the interaction and immediately beamed. He couldn't believe this. He knew this was the one.

"You're hired. You start tomorrow. Don't forget to grab his coffee on the way to work," Mr. Cathwell said as he shook her hand and headed out the door after he said his 'goodbye' to both of them.

Alex stood there in shock. Damn, she thought. That was the easiest job interview she's ever done.

Jay also stood there in shook. That was quick, he thought. It annoyed him that his dad hired her with one quick glance.

"I like my coffee black with 3 packets of sugar." He said trying to keep the annoyance out of his voice. She merely nodded and walked away from his office shutting the door behind her.

Alex exited the office and danced away. She got a job that had benefits and good pay! Jesus was certainly on her side today.

The girls that were waiting outside had no idea as to why she was so happy, but simply kept fixing their appearance in hopes of impressing Jay Cathwell. Little did they know.

Alex exited the building after giving a thumbs up to Mori to which she replied with clapping (really loud I might add). She laughed as she walked away from the building and waited for the bus ride to take her home.

--