Chapter 10

It was the morning of a new day and somehow something felt slightly better. I woke up curled in my bed with the sun trying to peek into my curtains. I don't know what feeling I felt, but I want to feel this everyday. 

Unfortunately, I still had to see Jay. I was pretty embarrassed about what happened and I couldn't face the fact that I looked so vulnerable around him. I hated that. I have always had pity surround me when people knew my story. Necessarily he didn't know my full story, but still. 

I heaved a sigh and just remembered to slowly get through the day and to not forget the feeling I had felt this morning: hope.

--

Walking in the office with the same routine with my two cups of coffee in hand was something I was getting used to. I don't know if it was because of the feeling I had this morning, but I somehow managed to not to trip all morning and the cups of coffee are still intact (knock on wood). 

The busy atmosphere was something that I have always admired about Cathwell Publishing. Everyone busting their asses off and not even realizing the impact they are making to viewers all around the world when they publish a new work. Truly inspiring.

I did the usual routine every time I walk in the office: greet passerbyers, set my stuff down on my cubicle, and hand Jay his coffee. On the good note, Jay wasn't in his office which was somewhat unsettling to me, but I let it slide. Hopefully, nothing's wrong and he's just in a meeting. I just don't want there to be awkward tension floating around us and I want there to be a professional relationship between us. 

There was something weird about today and I didn't know what it was. Where is Jay? It's been an hour since I've been here and no one has bossed me all day, which I don't mind, but I'm completely bored out of my mind! I hope he's okay, considering there is nothing on his schedule so I don't get why he's not here. 

I was about to call him when Jay Cathwell walked right out of the elevators. He looked disheveled, but he looked very rushed to go to his office. He hurriedly walked into his office and immediately signaled me to follow him. 

I grab my notepad and my pen and followed him and made sure to close the door behind us. 

"Mr. Cathwell there are meetings for you around 1 o'clock with one of the up and most coming clients of the century and meeting is held at.." 

"You have never called me something so formal before. Just leave it to Jay, Alex," He interrupted. 

"I.." 

"Anyways, I was meaning to talk to you about something." 

"Yes, Mr.. I mean Jay?" 

"Look, your whole parents situation I got it all covered. Don't worry about them bothering you anymore."

"Excuse me?" 

"The only reason they came looking for you was for money. I have a very important person that I hired that foresees my problems and this became my problem when I exposed your number to them. Anyways, their 'dealings' haven't been working out and they are currently broke and were in need of money. Alex, you have the money they need...

"Um, I don't have any money so I don't know what you're talking about." I explain. This must be why he was late this morning and why he looks so disheveled. He seems to care about me. Me? 

"When's your birthday?" 

"August 29th." 

"On your 18th birthday, your grandparents have made a will regarding your inheritance." 

"M-My grandparents?" 

"Yes." 

I haven't thought about my grandparents in the longest time. Back when times were rough, they were the ones who called it upon themselves to try to take me out in such an abusive home. They were the only family I had. But with my luck, my grandfather died of natural causes causing a strain between my grandmother. She ended up passing away a couple weeks later due to a broken heart, something that truly hurt me more than the punches I got from my parents. I hadn't thought about any will. Especially a will that had my name on it and money given to me when I was 18? Why wasn't this ever mentioned to me? 

"I-I don't know what to say." 

"Look Alex, this person I hired is a professional. We'll take care of it. But as of right now, 300 feet that the court has ordered for you isn't gonna work well. They are very determined. But, I'm gonna make sure they won't do anything to you. We'll get the will situated and the money that is rightfully yours handed to you. But, in the meantime I want you to slowly register everything I just told you. We'll talk more in depth about it next time. I would gladly love to go over it with you, but my schedule is very filled to the brim this week." 

"Wow." I couldn't believe this. Why is Jay doing this all of a sudden? Why? 

"Let's just say I have misjudged you and my parents taught me better than that." 

"Thank you Jay." 

"Of course."

"You didn't have to do that."

"I know." He said. We looked at each other for the longest time before I quickly looked away and decided to let him do his work.  

I slowly walked out of his office with a small smile and closed the door behind me. My heart racing a mile a minute. A will. Money. My grandparents. I would have never ever expected this and this was something that was just added to my list of problems that I'll have to face. 

But, to think that Jay did that. He did that just to prove to me that he's not a jerk after all. He surely misjudged me, yes. But, I misjudged him too.