On the Flip Side

Walking home from the movies, I couldn't help but frown up at the sky. Clouds were starting to form overhead and they had transformed it's bright blue color into an ugly shade of gray.

Needless to say, the sun hadn't been out in ages.

The rain was never ending, and I was certain the world was mocking me a little. I'd been in a sour mood for the past week, and the rain only added to my disdain.

At least thats what my brothers would say. And unfortunately, they were right, although I'd never tell them that.

Truthfully, I didn't know what was going on with me lately, either.

Maybe I was just bored. But at any rate, it was hard feeling his way.

Danny and Xander would tell me I was going through some kind of mid-teenage crisis; and that I'd get over it soon. But that was easy for them to say. I was the youngest in our family, anyway. It was expected that I'd go through something like this, being the most emotional and all.

And by family, I meant Danny, Xander, and anybody else who had grown up with us. We didn't live in the best part of town, and none of us had good family situations. But we had each other. I hardly even remembered my parents. All I've ever known is Danny and Xander, and anyone else who wanted to tag along.

Don't get me wrong, I love them to death. Danny even dropped out of school to take care of Xander and I. But that didn't mean I couldn't feel lousy.

And for some reason lately, the only thing that was able to hold my attention for any reasonable amount of time were movies.

God I loved going to the movies.

But most importantly, I loved going alone. Sometimes that was the only time I could be alone.

As I continued my walk along the path that that led to our small one-story, I couldn't shake the feeling that someone was following me. Danny was always warning me about going to the movies alone, but I didn't want to bring any of the guys along this time. They always made fun of the movies I went to see.

Pulling my jacket tighter around me, I picked up my pace, surely it was just my imagination making me feel eerie. I ran a hand through my short brown hair, refusing to look behind me, just in case.

My breathing hitched when I heard a stick break. Stopping dead in my tracks, I looked around. But all I could see was the old railroad and miles of woods behind me, meaning I was close to our neighborhood.

Slowly, I turned around and ran right smack into a hard chest.

Danny.

"Shawn, what the hell are you doing?" he all but seethed.

"I, well, you see—" I began, then noticed Xander walking out from behind Danny. He folded his arms across his chest in mockery of Danny.

I had to hide my smile, leave it to Xander to make me laugh before I got chewed out.

"I've been looking all over for you, but here you are, coming back from God knows where," Danny said, only stopping to breathe. "You had me worried sick. And what do you have to say for yourself?"

I blinked at him, my mouth slightly agape.

"Nothing. As usual."

"Lay off em' Danny, like I don't go off places all the time by myself," Xander said causally, resting his elbow on my shoulder and winking at me.

"Don't you go defending him, you're seventeen and he can barely pass for fourteen, he doesn't need to be walking places alone," Danny accused angrily.