"Darn," he muttered. "It seems to have gotten worse." His voice was too low for the family following him to hear. His eyes turned to the castle and he wondered what was going on with the Master of the house. 

Annelie stepped forward, brushing past Liyor. Before the man could do anything, she pressed her hand against the gate. The tips of her fingers brushed against rose petals, soft and sweet. The fragrant smell hit her nose, making her feel a lot calmer and happier. 

The gate opened willingly under her touch, and let out no sound of protest. 

Liyor's eyes stared, wide, at her for a long moment. When she had reached forward, he had held his breath. I have to check! I have to know, he thought. I cannot stop her now. When she had opened the gate, he froze. His heart fluttered and he wished he had never brought the poor girl to the castle. "I'm so terribly sorry," he breathed softly. 

Annelie strode forward, onto the castle grounds once more. "Oh dear! Oh dear!" a voice she instantly recognized exclaimed. Zaman came stumbling out onto the steps of the castle. Instead of wobbling all the way over to the cluster of people he waved them forward. 

The group moved, Liyor rushing past them eagerly. 

Zaman had tried to stop himself from seeing what had happened. Yet, he had watched her open the gate through the large window at the front door. It had truly sealed her fate as it opened in front of her. The chance meeting in the forest had been no chance at all. 

"Come in now! You must get to the dining room at once! I will be going to fetch the master, so Liyor you must lead them," Zaman explained to the group once they grew close enough to hear. He pulled Liyor close, his mouth moving to the other man's ear so he could speak lowly without anyone else overhearing. "Protect the girl," he ordered. 

With that, Zaman bowed to the baker's family. He rushed back to the door of the castle, needing to see the Master immediately. 

The stairs stole his breath, yet he never slowed. The Beast shouted behind his closed door by the time Zaman had made his way there. 

Instead of pausing and rethinking like so many others would, he continued forward. "Master?" he called out questioningly. 

Silence met him until the door opened. The Beast stood there, once more composed. His face was like stone as he addressed his servant, "Yes?" 

"Master... the girl... she... she is the one," Zaman struggled to explain. The Beast turned away from him immediately, pacing back into his room. 

I shall be the death of her, the death of the Beauty, he thought with a mournful shake of his head. 

---

Merrick stood by the grand fireplace in the massive dining hall. It was decorated so scarcely but was undoubtedly masculine. A fire burned easily, warming the room, and captivating the older man. His attention was caught as the Beast pushed open the door to the dining hall. His dark gray eyes were two swirling storms. 

"I see you have made yourselves quite..." the Beast voice drew off at the sight of Merrick. 

"It was you! You were the one who saved our Annelie all those years ago. It must have been you. You, the unchanging Master of Rose Castle, you have saved her not once, but twice now! I must thank you. Truly, I must," Merrick exclaimed. 

The Beast looked at Annelie who was openly gawking at her father. She obviously thought him mad. Crazy, old Merrick. Even so, he needed to get her mind off of what her father had said and cleared his throat. 

"Yes, I suppose it may have been me who saved your daughter," the Beast muttered with scorn coating his face. "Though, I cannot be sure. I tend to keep my distance from dirty little town rats."