Chapter One - Interrogation at Recess

I never in my life thought anything this horrible would happen to me. I never thought that I would have to deal with the fact of being scared of people, especially adults. I never thought my sense of trust would be lost and I never thought that I would find something more when this whole mess started.

I walked in the coffee smelling building. Men and women walked all around in blue uniforms holding papers or folders or talking on phones. I walked behind my best friend Sierra, clinging to her arm, afraid of everyone around me except her. We had a run in with an awful front desk lady which led us to sneak past her when she wasn't looking.

She walked in her usual confident way that made me envy her. I used to walk like her, but now i was reduced to a paranoid, scared child who was even afraid to be in the same room by herself. I hated myself for being this way, but I couldn't help it.

Sierra slammed the door open to the office at the very end of the hall way we had turned down. She made her arms akimbo as she gave the man in front of her a look of both disdain and anger.

The man looked up at us with a surprised look on his face. He placed the paper he was holding, down on his desk and folded his hands together as he cleared his throat.

"Can I help you miss?" he asked with a cocked eyebrow.

"Look here, Mister," she responded angrily as she slammed the door shut. "Let me lay it down for you. You're going to help my friend here and you're going to catch a rapist."

He gave her a look of disbelief. "What on earth are you talking about?"

"You're going to catch the rapist who raped my friend," she spoke slowly as if  the man was slow at comprehending words.

"That's very sad that happened to you, but you can't just barge into--"

Sierra slipped her arm carefully out of my grip before slamming her hands onto his desk, making it rattle. "Look here, this is an opportunity for you to catch a terrible man. i suggest you take it now or I can have you turned in for refusal of cooperation to help with a serious, illegal matter."

"You can threaten me all you want, but--"

She roughly grabbed him by the collar and gave him an intense stare. "Don't you have a daughter you love?! Or someone who's like a daughter to you? What would you do if they were raped and refused to have someone look into it?"

She let go and he fixed his tie before speaking. "I see your point. Alright, tell me everything that happened."

They both looked at me, but i was frozen in place. Just looking at him made me have flash backs to that horrible day. I backed up, pressing myself against the door. My best friend took a step towards me, telling me it was ok to talk to him, that he wouldn't hurt me, but my paranoia took over. I shook my head, too afraid to talk.

"I'm sorry. She's very traumatized by what had happened to her. If we could please speak to someone who's possible sixteen or younger?" she asked.

"I hope you are aware that police forces consist of adults, not children," he replied sternly. Sierra  was prepared to argue with the man again, but the door bumped into me, making me yelp and jump away from it, hiding behind her once again.

"Martin, we need to help them," a tan lady barged in.

"Stella, we can't help her if she won't tell us anything," he responded sternly. She rushed over to him, laying a file down on his desk.

"I can see why. Someone hurt her deeply and now she's afraid. How would you feel if your little girl was really raped instead of almost raped?" she asked. He fell silent, but picked up the phone to call people. Once he put it down, he sighed,holding his temples. He was quiet a minute before speaking.