Chapter Six - Memories

We eventually walked out into the clearing and I slowly let go of his shirt. I recognized where we were immediately. It was the same playground she had first became friends with Sierra. She looked around and saw that everything was now rusted, faded and old. Even the little building where she had once learned was fading and decaying slightly. It was obvious that no one had been there in years. 

She walked out a little, surprised that he had brought her here. She could feel the memories flood back to her as she looked around the place. She was so mesmerized by the whole thing.

"Why did you bring me here?" she whispered.

"Thought you would like a trip down memory lane," he replied to her, a slight smile playing on his lips.

She walked over to the rusted merry-go-round and ran her fingers against the cool bar. She knew that there was another reason he brought her here. She could feel it.

She stopped and turned to face him. "So what's the real reason you brought me here?"

He looked at her and shook his head. "I told you. Just to bring back some memories since you always seem so scared. Just thought it would be nice to remind you of a nicer memory."

"Max, do not play games with me. Why did you bring me here?"

He was silent a moment, but finally sighed and walked over to her, sitting down on the merry-go-round.

"Look. I just.....just want you to know something?" he began. She sat down next to him, waiting for him to go on. "It's about Sierra."

She had a feeling she knew what he was going to say, but didn't mention it. "What about her?"

"Does...she really hate me?" he asked as he looked over at her.

"You like her, don't you?" she bluntly asked. She watched him shyly look down at the floor, but soon returned his gaze towards her.

"Winter....I know I brought you out here suddenly and i know you haven't really known me for that long, but.....I've known about the both of you forever."

"What do you mean?"

"Ever since we were little....I guess you could say I've kind of have always thought you guys were interesting and I thought Sierra was just, well, cool."

She waited for him to go on, but he just chuckled instead before saying, "You must think I'm lame."

Shaking her head she replied, "No. I think it's brave."

"It's just....when I was that close to her for the first time in a long time I got....all jittery, you know? I can't explain it. I just got all nervous and I didn't know what to do. That's why I pretended not to know you guys. I just didn't know what to say. I knew she was mad at me for ditching her, but I couldn't help it. I was a confused five years-old little kid. i didn't know what to do."

"Then figure out what to do now. You were reunited with us again for a reason. Don't screw it up."

He nervously laughed a bit. "Easier said then done."

I smiled. I was tempted to tell him what I knew, but I had a gut feeling it would be better for him to try to figure things out then me attempting to assist him. "Just be yourself."

"That's what every girl says."

"I'm being serious. If you be yourself, you'll have better luck than if you act the way you do now."

He fell quiet. His eyes fell to the ground, telling me that he was contemplating over my words. He had seemed to be thinking about it pretty hard since we had been silent for what felt like an eternity.

Until we heard a loud crunch.

A bit paranoid, I froze up on the spot. I didn't move a single muscle in my body. I could feel goosebumps rise on my skin. I suddenly had flashbacks to that night. I could feel a shiver run through out my body. I gripped my left hand around the metal rail as tight as I could as if it would save me.

the rustling got louder until I heard an annoyed familiar voice.

"What the hell are you doing out here?" the voice called out. I saw a blond head of hair step out from the shadows along that i recognized, but the person who followed after I didn't know at all.

"Max, how many freaking times do you have to come out here without telling me?" Damien asked annoyed.

"I'm sorry. I was unaware you became my mother," Max teased. "I see you even dragged your brother Vincent along."

"I actually caught him wandering around in the woods," the boy named Vincent explained sheepishly. "I followed him when I heard him leave the house."

"Whatever," Damien said rolling his eyes. "Why'd you bring this free loader out here anyways? Are you seeing her or something?"

"Now you sound like you're my jealous girlfriend," Max teased again. "But no. We're not dating. I just thought I would help calm her down by bringing her here to remind her of a happier time."

"That's a first. You never bring anyone else here but me," Damien said as he crossed his arms. "Anyways, it's almost three in the morning. We gotta head home or else my mom will kill us for all leaving the house without telling her."

Max smiled and nodded. He stood up and offered me a hand. When I finally relaxed my shoulders and reached out to take his hand, I hadn't realized how hard I was gripping onto the railing until I saw how white my knuckles were.

Standing up, we followed the brothers as they began walking out of the woods. Slowly following behind, I took one last look behind me at the playground and the school house, the memories again flooding back to me. Turning my back to it, I followed them out, hoping that I would one day be able to make happy memories like that again.