Chapter 6

Greenwood T.A. 2048

          With the coming of true winter, the shorter days, and numerous days of endless snow, I found myself having tea with Rüdhon in his quarters

          With the coming of true winter, the shorter days, and numerous days of endless snow, I found myself having tea with Rüdhon in his quarters. The small living space that he had occupied for years, and years, remained the same. Except for one addition. The rocking chair my father had made for mother, was now sat in one corner. Rüdhon had saved it after my father's death, one of the few things he hadn't been able to let go off. He had been embarrassed at first when I noticed it, but I had only enjoyed the sight of it again. So many memories associated with it.

But halfway through my cup of the delectable flowered-green brew, we were interrupted. We both looked up, locked eyes before turning to the door. Rüdhon had for once changed out of his guard uniform. Not that the blue tunic didn't look handsome on him.

More soft knocks. Rüdhon lowered his cup as Voronwë entered, looking entirely weary. "Forgive my intrusion—" Rüdhon left his seat immediately to go to him. Voronwë trailed off when noticing me. He seemed surprised that I was there and didn't want to speak at first. Then he sighed, looked between us, and then spoke quietly. "The King request your presence, both of you, and—" Voronwë trailed off, raked a hand through his short hair, contemplating whether to say the next words or not. "He's in a foul mood."

Rüdhon groaned. He had already been victim to Thranduil's foul mood this morning when he returned from his night patrol. He rubbed his eyes and wrapped his other arm around his waist. "Thank you, Voronwë." Rüdhon dismissed Voronwë who lowered his head, even extended the gesture to me before he retreated.

The defeated expression on Rüdhon's face was one I shared as I lent heavily against the chair again. Neither of us wanted to face Thranduil. It had been the first subject of our conversation when I sat down for tea. With a determined nod, I left my chair. Rüdhon arched a brow at me as I corrected on my clothes, softening some of the folds on my gown. I didn't have guard duty today, therefore I had opted for a dress for once.

Rüdhon needed a bigger nudge. He had reluctantly remained by the door when I opened it. "Better face it now. Postponing it will not do neither of us any good." I wrapped my arm around his and dragged him along. Rüdhon sent me a look that I made me smile and tighten my hold on him. "Rüdhon. I will be by your side each step of the way." I tried to keep my emotions out of my voice but the glare he sent me, made me laugh.

"Thank you." He sighed, but laughed with me before he pressed a kiss to my temple. Rüdhon made sure to close the door behind us, and stepped into pace beside me as we made our way through the halls, down into the main hall. Laughing together all the way, until the throne room was within sight.

Rüdhon felt my hesitation and sent me a soft smile before stepping ahead of me. It was only the fourth or the fifth time I had been in the throne room since I returned to the Woodland Realm. There were two reasons for that. One, Thranduil seldom left the main hall, secondly, I had a lot to see too now. Rüdhon saw to that. He kept me busy. Not that I minded because I got to explore the forest again.