Chapter 4

“Spies,” Marcus whispered, “my parents are spies.”

  “I know it’s hard to take in, but I will tell you one more thing before I leave.” Carlos said.

  “Yeah, and what's that?” Marcus responded, in a disrespectful tone.

  “You know how your parent’s have skills," he said, "Well you probably have those same skills because of genes. Just saying. Instead of going to a foster home, go rescue your parents!”

  “Wait, what? Our parents are alive?”

  "So you don't know?" Carlos asked them.

  "What?" Rachel demanded, "What don't we know?"

  “That's right. I forgot to give you the tranmission earlier." Carlos whispered to himself, "Well, here you go.” 

  With that, he pulled a package from his pocket. It was light green, and was soft to the touch. A PLX disc was inside.

  "Two days ago," Carlos explained, "That appeared in my house. It was sitting on my desk next to my bed when I woke up. Immediately I watched it, and then I knew that you're parents weren't dead." He sniffled, and he looked like he was about to cry.

  "What's wrong?" Rachel asked, "What's the matter? Aren't you happy that you're brother and his wife are actually alive?"

  "Of course I am." Carlos said, "It's just that, well, about a year ago I was captured myself. Me and my wife were captured and brought to the Evil Headquarters. They also brought my only child, Jo. She was a lovely girl, she was 10 years old at the time of the capture. Anyways, they locked us in prison. But, I had a plan to escape that very night." He sniffed, and blew his nose. Then he continued, "I broke out, and while I was freeing my wife, two guards walked in and saw what was happening. I panicked, and hurled myself at them. One drew a bow, and shot an arrow straight at my chest. I dodged it, then punched the first one. As I was about to knock out the other guard, I heard a scream. I turned and saw my wife laying down on her back. An arrow sprouted from her chest. I didn't know what to do, but at that moment one of the guards got up and kicked me in the chest. I went flying out of the prison, and the guard locked the door. My wife was dead, and my little girl still imprisoned."

  "What did you do?" Michael asked.

  "I did the natural thing. I ran." Carlos said, "I ran till I was out of the forest surrounding the Evil Headquarters. Then, I made it back here."

  "We're sorry," Rachel said, "We didn't know."

  Carlos simply responded, “Just think about it okay?”

  "About what?" Michael asked him.

  "About saving your parents."

  “Okay. I guess.” Marcus said uncertainly.

  “Well, goodbye.”

  Then their Uncle Carlos left. 

  A few minutes later, they were all still sitting on the couch thinking about what they had just heard.

  “I can’t believe they never told us that they were spies,” grumbled Rachel.

  “The past doesn’t matter right now. Only the future does." said Michael, "How about we play that tape to try and figure out who’s behind this."

  “Good idea.” said Marcus, “here, put this in the PLX  Michael. I’ll watch it real quick with you guys then go meet Marci.”

  “Okay.” said Michael. He got up walked to the TV, which was sitting on a wooden desk. On top of the TV, there was a black metal box about the size of Rachel's fist. There was a small opening, where a disc could be put in. He took the disc out of the package. The disc was black. "Here goes nothing." he said. He slipped the disc smoothly into the slot.

  Then he hit a red button on the side of the box. The screen immediately went to a dark forest next to a grey river, and it just kept zooming until a white dome was in view. It was quite short, so they guessed that the building went further underground. The camera just kept moving forward until there were two big red doors in view. On the side of the right door, there was a hooded figure next to a big, black button. The figure pressed the button, and the doors opened inwards. The camera quickly moved down a big white hall, and through many corridors, till it got to a big double door. The doors opened inwards, and the camera went inside.

  It was pitch black inside except for the moon, shining through a mostly transparent roof. Then, they heard a voice and a pair of piercing blue eyes staring at them. A silhouette appeared in the little light there was, and a voice suddenly said, "Hello there! If you are watching this it means you are a relative of Sarah and Bryan Hade." The voice was most likely coming from the figure, but they couldn't tell. The voice was high, so they guessed that the figure was probably a female. But surprisingly, there was also muffled yelling in the background. "I have Sarah and Bryan Hade captured and I wish to capture the following: Marcus Hade, Rachel Hade, and Michael Hade. If you don’t turn yourselves in, my captives will die. The deadline is December 1st, 2035. Now goodbye." Then, a different voice suddenly gasped, and screamed, "Marcus! She's-" Then it went black. The voice was their mothers. Sarah had tried to call out to them, but the camera had stopped. 

  "That was Mom!" Michael exclaimed, "Mom tried to scream out to us!"

  "But why didn't they cut that part out?" Marcus asked him.

  "I think that once the video was over," Michael answered, "They sent it immediately to Uncle Carlos. They probably didn't notice it was in there until later."

  Rachel had turned pale. “She wants us as her captives,” she whispered, “but, why?”

  “Maybe she wants us because she’s planning something big." Michael reasoned, "But, why us? We have no training in anything! In fact, we just found out that we're even the children of spy agents!"

  “Well, I think Detective Bernard was right.” said Marcus, “Our parents aren't dead. They're being held captive by some lady who probably wants to take over the world. And we need to do something about it.”

  “Marcus is right,” said Rachel, “we have to do something about it, and I know just what to.”