8

Lucy's POV
Ian stood in the kitchen, leaning against the counter top, talking on the phone. I'm not sure who he's talking to but he was smiling at first and now he's frowning.
"Okay, I'll be in touch" He says, hanging up the phone and placing it on the counter.
"What was that about?" I ask him.
"I auditioned for a movie a few months back and they just called and told me I got the part" He says.
"That's great, Ian!" I pull him into a hug, but he doesn't seem as excited. "Why aren't you happy?
"Well I was happy, until they told me where it would be" He shakes his head. "I'm going to call them back and say no"
"No, no. Take the job" I insist. "Where is it?"
"It's in New Mexico" He pauses between his sentences. "For three months"
"So if you go soon, then you'll be back in time for the birth" I say slowly, trying to calculate everything in my head. "It's going to be okay, we'll make it through"
"Are you sure? I want to be here with you every second. I don't want to chance missing the birth" He runs his hands through his hair.
"You won't, I promise" I say, grabbing his torso and wrapping my arms around him. "This is your time, babe"
.............................................................................
Ian and I stood at the airport, not taking our eyes off each other.
"I'm going to miss you so much" He says, holding onto my face. "I'll be back soon"
"I'm going to miss you too" I tell him.
A message comes over the loud speakers saying that the plane Ian is going on is about to board.
"I guess this is goodbye" I say, playing with my fingers, trying to distract myself from what was happening.
"This isn't our goodbye, Luce. This is just our beginning" He reminds me, almost as if I had somehow forgotten.
"I love you" I say as he releases my hand and drifts into the crowd, where I can no longer recognize him and that's when I start to cry.
.............................................................................
"Hey Ian, it's me" I say into the phone while I sit on the couch.
"Hey, Lucy goosey" He says which was hard to hear over the loud music in the back ground.
"Where are you?" I ask. Not that I wanted to be nosy, but I was a curious person.
"I'm at a bar with some of the guys I'm working with. Just having some drinks. Nothing major" He says and I shake my head, trying not to laugh too hard.
"Don't make it anything like the cast party" I scold him. "I'm the only one who's allowed to be your baby's mama and I don't want you to be anyone else's baby daddy"
"I know, Goose" He laughs and I close my eyes. I can just imagine his smiling figure at a bar, holding the phone up to his ear.
"Well, can you call me tomorrow?" I ask. I couldn't tell him now. It was too important.
"Yeah, of course" He says and I nod.
"Well I'll talk to you tomorrow. I love you" I hold the phone up to my ear with a shaky hand.
"I love you too, bye"
.............................................................................
Ian didn't call back the next day or the day after that. I know that he's super busy with his job and probably doesn't want to talk to me every twenty seconds but I'd appreciate if I got a call back. All I got was a text.

Hey, Lucy. Busy on set all week. Late night shoots and I'm super tired. Won't be able to talk much.

But the truth is, we didn't talk at all.