Chapter 21- Where do I start?

Jen

"Mind telling me who Shawn is?" Dylan asks. Yesterday we had agreed to meet up at the local café before school. I'd be thrilled if it weren't for the fact that I knew she was keeping something from me. She was one of my best friends and the betrayal stung. Her inquiry didn't add to my mood either. On a regular day, the mere thought of Shawn would cause blood to rise to my cheeks, effectively splashing them red. I don't know what it is but there is something there and I just cannot ignore it. It's something that causes my stomach to roll over in a fit of nerves and for my heart to pound sporadically when I see his smile, whether subconsciously or not. It was like I couldn't think about Shawn and breathe at the same time. But not today. Today was different. Today I woke up feeling determined.

"Is there something you aren't telling me?" She continues. She picks at her Blueberry muffin with a fork, her eyes casting a curious glance toward me. If I didn't know better I'd say she was pushing toward this conversation purposefully. I try to read her expression and posture but she remains stoic and slouched in her seat.

"I could ask you the same thing," I say. I cross my arms over my chest for effective measure. I needed answers. I am never going to get them unless I ask, and although I'm not a fan of confrontation, I have to start somewhere.

Dylan eyes me weirdly, scrutinizing the set of my brows and eyes before sighing. She sets the fork down and looks everywhere but at me.

"I'm not sure what you mean," She says. Her mouth held a slight frown, and just like that I felt my determination slip away as if it was never there in the first place. Was it that bad that she's denying knowing something? I don't know if I want to know anymore.

I let silence consume us before deciding to change the subject away from the tense atmosphere.

"He is a friend."

I receive the same weird look I did just moments ago.

"Shawn I mean."

"A friend that visits til the late hours?"

I don't know what to say so instead I remain silent, waiting for her to say something else. I cast my gaze downward, skimming the page of my novel I had brought.

"I called your house last night." She elaborates. "I expected you to pick up but your dad did. He told me that you were with Shawn."

Her eyes pierce through mine and I break out in a furious blush. It's absurd really, we are nothing more than friends, and yet I feel the need to hide and tuck our relationship away for safety.

"He was just checking up on me," I say, trying to justify Shawn's actions. It was a rational thought. Shawn checked in every few hours, making sure I took my medication and also soothing any doubts I had about the unknown. He had kept to routine calls for the past three days now. I was pretty sure he'd call soon as his first call of the day normally came just as soon as school was about to start.

As if on queue, my phone shrills in my pocket. The clock reads 8:30 AM as I look at the screen. School would start in thirty. Shawn's name also appeared on the screen. I ponder if Dylan will know it is him if I answer.

Glancing up at her, I see she has assumed it is. Her brows are drawn and she lifts her chin ever so slightly, but I answer anyway, trying to hide my crimson face behind my curtain of brown hair.

"Hello?"

"Where are you? I thought I was picking you up today?" He says. A tense feeling runs down my spine. Shoot. I forgot to tell him that I was meeting Dylan this morning.

I heave a sigh, "I'm sorry! I forgot. I'm at the café with Dylan right now, she'll take me to school. Don't worry about it."

I hear him hum over the phone and his John Mayor album plays on the CD player, barely distinguishable on the other end of the line. I can tell he is contemplating what his response will be. It takes him a moment, but he soon finds his words.

"Fine, but I'm still coming over tonight- If that's okay with you, I mean." The last part of his sentence is rushed and I can't help but roll my eyes at his modesty. Can't he tell that I love his company?

"Of course you can." I say, "and before you ask, yes. I already took my meds."

I hear him chuckle deeply, the sound coming so smoothly through the line I swear he was right next to me. I smile at the thought of him smiling, it nearly makes me breathless, but I feel as if I can breathe easier.

"Okay then. I'll see you today after school. I'm assuming your dad is picking you up?" I look up at nothing in particular, trying to recall if my father said anything of the sort.

"I think so, if not I can just walk. I'll text him and ask him, but he might have work today."

"I'd feel much more comfortable if someone picks you up. If he has work, you can text me for a ride."

My heart squeezes at his words. Does he really care?

Before I can say anything else, he speaks again, a bombardment of words that are somewhat incoherent but I catch the jist of what he's saying.

"I'll call you later. I have to get to class. I'm already running late." And then the call ends. Immediately guilt engulfs me. He had waited for me and I made him late. What kind of a friend was I?

I stare at my phone, an elated sigh escaping my lips. I can't wait for after school today.

"Soooo. Just a friend, huh?" Dylan asks, a smirk tugging at the left side of her mouth.

"Looks like you have some explaining to do, Jen."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
(A/N): I've been reading a lot lately so this isn't the best chapter but hey, its up right? Man, I've gotta start getting better at these. I feel like I'm losing my flow on writing. I just can't seem to feel satisfied with my descriptions of Jens feelings or environments. I'll work on that.

Anyway! How are you all doing? I hope all is well with all of you! The past two weeks have been very crappy for me, but life goes on right?

I'm not sure where I'm going with this story, I'm being spontaneous with every chapter haha. I think at the time of writing this, we have 2.2k reads? Which is insane, at least for me it is. I really didn't think anyone would like this story tbh, but you guys proved me wrong. Thank you all so much! Much love and appreciation for each of you <3 I can only hope to satisfy your curiousity and enthusiasm for more.
Til next time! xx.