19. No More To Give

En başından başla

But, nothing happens. His eyes remain wide and lifeless, staring up at her eerily.

The noise gets louder and louder, and Lori looks around, trying to search for its origin.

And then, she finds it.

Not too far off in the sky, a Berg is flying towards her, slowing down in preparation to land.

WICKED. They're here for me, she thinks to herself.

Staring at Newt, she tries to decide what to do. What could she do?
She doesn't want to be taken by WICKED, but she doesn't want to leave Newt either.

She decided to stand up, figuring that if they didn't spot her, they would just leave and look somewhere else.

Moving quickly, she hides behind a dumpster not too far away from where Newt lies dead. She shuts her eyes, tears falling as she tries not to think about him.

She didn't get to have those new memories with him. She didn't get that one more day.

She just wanted one more day.

The Berg makes the ground vibrate and the air pulse around her as it lands, Cranks beginning to swarm it.

WICKED members in the strange green suits exit after the back door opens, shooting the Cranks left, right and center. They drop, one by one, thumping to the ground.

The green people begin to search the crowd, some armed with Launchers, while the majority just have ordinary guns. They push their way through the crowd of Cranks, murdering any who try to retaliate.

She slinks down lower against the dumpster, praying to anyone who will listen that the people won't find her.

The green-suited people get closer, their shoes not very silent against the cement. Lori tries to crawl away from the dumpster and down an alley, but it is too late. Someone has spotted her.

"Over there!" One of them shouts. There is a lot of chatter, and then the thundering of feet hitting ground as they run in her direction.

Lori climbs to her feet, with one last look over her shoulder at Newt.

One last look would never be enough. She didn't want there to be one last look. The only last look that she wanted was when they were old and grey and died beside each other.

But now, because of WICKED, their last look was her giving a backwards glance to his deceased body laying on the ground, eyes wide, a hole in his head, and blood running down his face.

Lori almost retched at both the sight and the thought.

The life they now lead was almost too much to bear at this point. When would the end finally be the end? When will enough be enough? They simply have no more too give.

WICKED had taken everything.

Running as far as she can, Lori leap over fallen Cranks and debris from the car wrecks. The people in green are right on her tail and not giving up the chase.

Suddenly, all she can see is white. Lori hits the asphalt as the pain flows across her body like a wave, the electricity webbing and traveling along her limbs. She can smell the light burning of her skin underneath the crackling electricity.

Someone had hit her right in the back with a Launcher grenade.

She let out a cry of frustration, trying to move, but her limbs were paralyzed.

The green people began to surround her, before laying a stretcher down beside her. They then proceeded to roll her onto it, and lifting her off of the ground.