Chapter 26- 'I swear my ass started sweating from the mention of it.'

Start from the beginning

However, I couldn’t do that. I knew Roger was dead but I just couldn’t say it.

Why did melt face sing that song? Why was he suddenly concentrating purely on Alex?

At the beginning it was our parents that were the suspects, but why would they sing that song?

I mean it still made sense, especially if Tom Henderson knew about what Roger did to his son. He had been told and did nothing, but why do this? Why put him through this?

Did he hate his own son that much that he not only turned his back on him, but he was now planting the knife directly into Alex’s?

“I don’t know what to do, what the hell do I do?!” Archie said through gritted teeth, his hand still in his hair. I’ve never seen him look so helpless.

Frankie ran her hands over her mouth, pressing them there as she stared on trying to find something to do. She shook her head faintly, her eyes turning blood shot as she looked at Alex and had no answer. Gavin walked next to her, placing an arm over her shoulder and pulling her to him.

I guess he didn’t know what to do about Alex, but he knew how to comfort Frankie.

My eyes darted back to Mr Cook’s desk, and I don’t know why I did it but I reached over and grabbed the rubix cube. I looked at it in my hands, before turning to Alex and walking to him. I lowered myself down to the ground next to him, even as I did that he didn’t look at me.

I scooted up until my side was pressed up against his, pulling my knees up and turning my head to look at him. I didn’t say anything, but I placed the rubix cube in the palm of his hand. I don’t know if it was the sudden contact, but he finally stopped the repetitive whispering. Slowly, he looked down at his hand, staring at the cube for a few minutes before pulling his eyes away and connecting them with mine.

My heart broke. As I made eye contact with him, I saw nothing but sadness. I saw a broken five year old boy who had no one to protect him. I saw a scared little kid who had never quite grown into a man. His body had, but his mind would always be that scared kid. As sad as it was for me to admit, I don’t think he will ever not be that kid.

“He never finished it.” My voice was quiet, and I knew I didn’t have to explain. He blinked at me a few times; no expression was on his face. He looked lost.

Without saying a word, he turned his eyes back to his hand and slowly started to turn the rubix cube. He didn’t need to say anything, and neither did I. With that sentence we were at an understanding. Mr Cook was a good man.

Without evening meaning to, without even being alive, he was helping.

“I’ll finish it.” Alex whispered so low I knew he wasn’t talking to me. He was talking to himself.

I looked up at Archie, who was stood frozen as he had witnessed the interaction between Alex and me. I didn’t know if he seemed more relieved that his brother was now calm, grateful or just plain stunned. I smiled faintly at him, happy myself now that he was no longer fretting about Alex.

“I’ll finish it.” Alex muttered again, moving his hands and twisting the cube.

As I relaxed slightly, placing my head on my knees and watching the movement of Alex’s hands as he mixed the colours together on the cube, I realised I didn’t know if he was talking about the task at hand or not.

--

For a second, I completely forgot the situation we were in as I walked towards the door to unlock it.

“Where are you going?” Frankie asked, and all of a sudden I remembered that wondering off on my own was not acceptable right now.

I rubbed my hand over my nose “Sorry I forgot about nut job boy out there. I wanted a drink.”