Chapter Two *Edited*

Start from the beginning

"Definitely," says Cassi. She shifts slightly, a beaming grin growing over her face. "Did you talk to the new guy, Elliot?"

"Yeah," I say. "He's going to our school."

"I know," says Cassi. She sucks in a deep breath, eyes wide. But then, she deflates slightly. "I know this won't make any sense to you, but I think I really like him."

I choke on my breath, but I try to cover it with a cough. "Have you even talked to him?"

"It's complicated," says Cassi, waving me off. "Like, I don't think you'd understand. But watch him today. Watch how he acts around me. Then tell me what you think, okay?"

"All right," I say, shrugging my shoulders.

Cassi disappears after that, leaving me to clean up our mess in the living room. I spend the rest of the day working on my summer reading assignment until Cassi knocks at my door. I glance at my watch, for once excited that I have swim practice.

We arrive to the beach early, even before Coach. The beach, if it can be called that, is empty. It's really just a big square of dirt with a tiny changing room and two square docks jetting into the lake. Nobody is ever here except our team and the occasional small family.

"Hey, kiddo!" calls Coach.

Cassi and I turn to see Coach marching down the sidewalk, followed closely by two gawky boys. They each carry a bulking bag of water polo supplies. Cassi half-skips toward Coach, a bright smile on her face.

"What game are we playing today?" she asks.

"I was thinking water polo again," says Coach. He's an old man, about sixty, but he used to be a water polo stud back in the day. It's pretty much his greatest achievement, even now.

"That's my favorite," squeals Cassi, even though I know it's not.

"Great. Well since you guys were the first to show up. How about you two be the game captains?" asks Coach.

Cassi accepts and I nod right behind her. I never get to be captain of anything, so there's no chance I'm turning down this opportunity. The five of us walk down the right dock and set up the first goal. As we tie it into place, Cassi leans into me.

"Sorry we have to be on different teams," she says. "I know that freaks you out."

"It's okay. I don't mind," I say, because really, I don't. I'm not sure why Cassi thinks I have severe anxiety about being separated. The only thing I'm scared of is playing water polo. Trying to shoot a ball while swimming is kind of scary, especially when six people are trying to drown you.

Twenty minutes later, the majority of the team stands on the sand in front of me and Cassi. I stand tall, towering nearly six inches over Cassi, and glance over my teammates. I know I should pick Keely and Sarah first, but if I want to win, I need to strategize.

"Elliot," calls Cassi. I glare over at her. We definitely agreed that I could go first.

He smiles slightly, just enough to expose his dimples. If only they were for me and not my sister. Elliot moves through the crowd and comes into view. He's wearing his swim jammers, a look most guys can't pull off. But he does. Of course he does.

I watch him, expecting him to check out Cassi, but he doesn't. His eyes flicker toward me. I glance at Cassi's curvy body and then down at my own. To be fair, one pieces don't look good on anyone, but my half-sister pulls it off better than I do. Her tan skin glows against the hot pink suit, and mine just looks sickly—green wasn't the best color.