Vandal Savage

Hal got no more sleep that night, and when he heard a crash from Kee's bedroom he instantly leapt out of bed and sprinted wildly to her door. He threw open the door, expecting to see Vandal Savage throttling his daughter, but instead he was greeted by the sight of a very startled looking Kee blinking up at him from the floor.

Calming down, he leant against the door frame.

" You're okay," He sighed thankfully.

' I tried to get out of bed and forget my prosthetic is broken. Sorry for scaring you dad ' Kee signed.

"Oh kiddo, it's fine, why don't I help you over to the kitchen and we'll fix your leg up for you?" Hal suggested lovingly, swooping down and picking her up easily. 

Kee giggled and flung her arms around his neck to hold on. Reaching the kitchen, he put her down on one of the bench chairs and gave a quick hug to Carol who'd emerged from the bedroom. Kee sat patiently when Hal brought back his toolbox and examined the limb.

" I found the problem! They managed to dent the screws allowing the knee joint's movement. It's an easy fix but you'll have to stay still while I fix this," Hal informed.

Kee nodded and started a conversation with Carol while she waited. After a few minutes and a few chose words from Hal, everything was fixed, and Kee did an experimental lap around the kitchen for good measure.

" Good girl! Now Kee, we know last night was a bit of a shock, but we've got Clark coming today to take care of you again, he's got the week off so he'll be hanging out with you while your dad and I are at work," Carol informed sweetly.

Kee clapped happily, always eager to see Clark, but a ring from Hal's phone caused him to have to leave the room for a moment.

" Hey Clark," Hal greeted.

" Hey Hal, I've got Lois with me and I was wondering if you'd let her help me look after Kee today?" Clark asked apologetically.

" Sure, just make sure you both keep a close eye on Kee," Hal accepted.

" Lois might get there first, if she does can you tell Kee she has permission to let her in?" Clark asked.

" Sure," Hal answered before ending the call.

Traipsing back in to the kitchen he found Carol telling a story to Kee while the girl munched on her toast happily.

" Okay Kee, Carol and I have to go, but Clark will be here soon, and he's got a ' friend ' driving over from Metropolis.If they get here first you have permission to let them in okay," Hal informed.

Kee nodded and gave him a quick hug goodbye before Hal and Carol waltzed out the door together.

Kee was in the midst of drawing the three Green Lanterns, calmly adding the unique features to each of them. It was funny, the one Lantern who hadn't been there last night looked a bit like her father if he dressed up. The thought make her chuckle to herself, of course her dad wasn't a Lantern, he was just a pilot!

She enjoyed having the use of her leg again, the thought of being imbibe until Clark or his friend arrived scared her. She hated the fact that se had to rely on a metal contraption to do something as simple as moving about, but hey, that was just her life now and she wouldn't be able to change that. 

What would her mother have said if she could see her now? If she could see just how far her baby girl had come from the days where she could speak and run on both her legs. The memories of ' the accident ' as it was dubbed, still haunted her.

Flashback

It was the assassin again, and he was back for blood. Mum always told six year old Kee that she'd been ' a bad woman ' before meeting her father in America and this time was no different.

" Mum, he's on our tail!" Kee informed as she peered trough the back window of their car.

The assassin on his black motorbike was weaving through traffic, steadily gaining on them in the crowded streets. He'd been following them for hours and finally was getting his chance. 

" I know sweetie, we'll be fine," her mother said, but worry was clear in her tone.

Clutching her necklace for good luck, as she always did when the assassins came, she watched the assassin come steadily closer.

" Keelan honey, when the car stops, follow me as fast as you can," Her mother ordered.

Kee nodded quickly and when the car screeched to a halt and her mother leapt out, she followed, running in her Green Lantern sneakers as fast as she could. The assassin leapt of his motorbike also and chased after them as her mum led her in to an apartment complex. They took the stairs two at a time, racing as fast as they could towards the roof.

When the door to the stairs they'd locked behind them was kicked open the increased their speed, fear driving them faster. Reaching the roof they sped to the edge, spying another roof they could jump on to, but out of the corner of her eye Keelan spotted the assassin reach the roof and throw his chief weapons, the dreaded throwing knives.

Right in the path of the knives stood her mother, throwing herself sideways she slammed her mother aside and almost made it herself, but with a startled cry that was cut off, three of the small knives cut deep in her her neck atop her vocal chords. A blast of wind blew harshly across the rooftop, and the unprepared assassin who was perched on the the edge of the rooftop let out a yell as he toppled off it.

End Flashback

The knock on the door brought her out of her memories, and she quickly got up. Looking through the key hole she didn't see Clark, but figured that his friend had arrived. Opening the door she waved at the visitor.

" Hello Keelan, I'm a friend of your father's. Call me Vandal, Vandal Savage," The man said, leering down at her from his great height.