Who is the Fairest of Them All? - Snow White

Background: Skip if you're not interested

I read a theory in Kenny Klein's Faery Tale Rituals that snow white was actually a nymph or faery, summoned by the queen wishing to have a daughter when she pricked her finger. So her daughter was paid for in blood and magically she fell pregnant despite being baren. Hence, why my Snow White, Eira, turned out the way she did - Eira is modeled after old forklore about the fae and how they manipulate people.

Once upon a time there lived a beautiful queen. She was adored by all through her land for her kind heart, gentle nature and great magickal abilities. Though the people loved her and she would ride out on a moments notice to help any who asked her, the one is this kingdom who loved her the most was her husband and king. The king held his wife in such esteem that he had never looked at another woman since meeting his queen.

However, though the sun shines there are still shadows in the world. It was to the king and queen's dismay that no child had yet been born of them and so they had no heir. It was of this subject that they spoke while they rode in a carriage one day through the forest.

"I wish I could give you a son, my lord," the queen lamented quietly. "Then the kingdom would be truly prosperous."

The king only smiled at his wife and took her hand in his to comfort her.

"My love," he spoke gently. "If I were to ask for only one child, I would not ask for a son. I would ask that we had a daughter. I would wish her hair to be as black as raven feathers like yours. I would wish her skin to be as fair as fresh snow just like yours. I would wish that her lips and cheeks hold the tint of blood like yours."

The queen smiled softly but did not seem to brighten fully.

"But most of all, my lady," the king continued. "I wish that our daughter would have a heart as pure and beautiful as yours."

Before a bright smile could grace the features of the beautiful lady, the carriage swerved to the side. The king held his wife close as the wheels ceased their movement and all became quiet.

"What on earth is going on out there?" the king called to his men.

"My apologies, your majesty," one of the knights replied. "There is a young girl on the side of the road. We are set to continue now."

Before the carriage could continue moving, the queen had stood, fastening her winter cloak around her shoulders. Surely a poor child could not be out here alone in the dead of winter?

The queen scanned the road until she saw a small figure, curled up beside the path. Swiftly, the lady walked to the child's side and knelt beside her. The girl hid beneath her hood, hiding her face from view.

"Hush, child," the queen soothed. "No one shall hurt you here. Are you hurt at all? Where are your parents?"

The little girl looked up at the queen. The lady nearly fell back from shock. The girl's features were if the queen was looking into a mirror of herself at a tender age. Dark hair, fair skin and red cheeks and lips.

"My parents," the girl shook with a sob as well as the cold. "They are dead. They were sick, my lady. I was trying to walk to the village to ask someone to take me in."

The queen's kind heart swelled with pity for this poor child. She felt an ache in her womb, as if the ghost of a child was there, urging her to bring this little girl home with her.

"I have no children of my own," the queen confessed. "Should you like to come with me and be my daughter?"

The tiny girl smiled as tears threatened to flow down her cheeks. Both child and mother stood and walked to the carriage where the king awaited his queen by the door. He smiled sportively to his wife and held the door for them both.