Chapter 35

I rolled over and looked out the window to see the blue seats with "Kansas Speedway" written in yellow. I smiled. Chase wrapped an arm around my waist and pulled me closer to him. I looked up at him.

"You know I've been picturing how perfect it would be if you could win this weekend, but I get to be the one to kiss you before you get into your car, and when you get out of it. And that's better than anything."

"I'm still gonna try to win for you though," he said. "So we have all day, what do you wanna do? Do you wanna go somewhere?"

"No, going places is so cliché, I just wanna stay here. Spend some time with you, and I don't know, maybe Eric Church."

"I'm totally up for it, we can stay here all day, I'm down."

"I thought you might be," I laughed and then I kissed him.

And we did. We stayed in our motorhome with Eric Church music coming out of the speakers. All day.

***Friday Morning***

"I'm gonna head down for practice," Chase said.

"But you still have over an hour," I argued.

"I just really want to win this weekend."

"Ok," I said as he hurried out of the door.

I didn't quite understand why he wanted to win so badly. It's not like it's the Daytona 500 for the Brickyard. I mean every win matters but not this much. I decided to let it go. The 24 team finished that practice 5th.

I went down to the garage after practice was over.

"Hey," I said to Chase.

"Darlin' I would love to talk but I can't right now," he responded.

"But practice is over."

"Yes, it is, but we still have a lot to fix. I'm sorry," he said, kissed my forehead and walked back to the 24 garage stall.

I went back to our RV and watched some movies. It was getting dark and Chase still wasn't back yet, so I walked to the garage to check on him.

As I got closer I saw the light on in the 24.

"Chase."

"Amy, I'm really sorry but I really can't talk right now."

"But why not? The garage is already closed."

"Ok, so we might get a penalty."

"If you get a penalty then what's the point in doing this?"

"We'll have a really good car," was his response.

I took a deep breath, "Chase, I just want to talk to you for two minutes."

"Ok, but two minutes is seriously the most I have."

"You do what you want to. I'll see you whenever you decide to come back."

I went back to the RV and went to bed. About an hour later Chase came to bed and snuggled close to me while I pretended like I was sleeping.

"I'm sorry," he whispered. "But it'll make sense, I promise."

********

I woke up the next morning and Chase was already gone.

'Go figure,' I thought.

I turned on practice and qualifying. Chase hadn't come back at all. Shortly after practice was over someone walked into the RV.