Chapter 3

The season went on. Chase got a win at Chicago. He was also getting closer and closer to the points lead. It was going great for him until that Thursday night before Kentucky.

I was about 45 minutes away from the track when I got a call from Chase.

"Hey! What's up?" I say when I answer the phone.

"Amy you have to get down here." Chase said crying.

"Chase what's wrong?"

"Courtney was in a really bad accident. The doctors say she doesn't have much longer."

Courtney was Chase's girlfriend. "Ok. I just passed the track. I'll be there in a about two and a half maybe three hours."

"Ok just hurry."

"I'm coming. Do you want to stay on the phone?"

"No. It's fine. I'll let you concentrate on your driving."

"Alright. I'll see you in a little bit. Call me if you need anything."

With that I hung up the phone. And drove as fast as that truck could take me.

______________________________________________________

I got to the Georgia hospital two hours after Chase called me. When I walked in he was sitting in the waiting room with his face in his hands, but I could still see the tears. I walked over to him and pulled him into a hug. We sat down and he put his head on my shoulder. Neither of us had said anything.

We sat like that for close to an hour then the doctor came in.

"You can come see her now." He told us.

Chase and I walked into the ICU. Chase walked into Courtney's room. I couldn't hear everything he said. But I made out "I love you." The heart monitor beeped and Chase came out of the room in tears. I wrapped my arms around his neck and held him in a supportive hug. We sat by the desk in the ICU hallway. He put his head on my chest and I put in hand on his cheek moving my thumb on his cheekbone.

"We should go." I whispered.

We got up and walked out of the hospital. My hand in Chase's. His heart clearly shattered.