Chapter 8

Throughout the next couple of weeks after Dylan's big win at Daytona, Chase seemed to be in a better state of mind. Dylan has come close to another win but hasn't been able to capitalize. It was going good. We were feeling confident that Chase would be back in the car soon. But then something just...snapped.

It had been one whole month since Courtney's passing. That night we watched 'Talladega Nights' and 'Pitch Perfect' to get his mind off of it. It didn't do anything.

Chase had sat around not doing anything. I was starting to worry that I was distancing from my best friend. I had felt like that for days, then one night, I had no clue what to think.

I had just got done with my shower. When I walked back out to the living room, Chase grabbed my hand and pressed me against the wall. He looked me straight in my eyes and kissed me. I felt a chill go down my back. Chase brought me off the wall and laid me on the bed still kissing me. He moved down to my neck, and I whispered,

"We shouldn't be doing this."

Chase stopped, and looked at me.

"Everyone needs to do something that they might regret later, it's apart of life," he told me. "But if you want to..."

I kissed him, interrupting what he was going to say.

*********

I woke up early that next morning. I looked over and saw Chase sound asleep next to me. It took me a minute to remember what had happened the night before.

I got out of bed and started to get ready. I didn't want to wake Chase, so I quickly found the room key Charlee had left a few nights before and took my straightener and makeup to her room to get ready. Before I woke Charlee I took my stuff back to my room and left Chase a note.

"Out with Charlee. Call me if you need anything."

I went back to Charlee's room to get her up. She finally woke up and looked up at me surprised.

"How did you get in here?!" She asked me.

"You left a key in our room a couple night ago. I've already been here to do my makeup." I told her.

"Why didn't you just do it in your room?"

"Reasons. Meet me at Denny's."

"Why?" She asked as I started to walk out the door.

"I have things to tell you." With that I walked out to my truck and drove to Denny's and waited for Charlee.

20 minutes later Charlee showed up. We sat down at a table and she asked me,

"So, what did you need to tell me?"

It took me awhile to figure out how to say it. I took a deep breath and told her. "I...kinda...slept with Chase last night."

"What?!" Charlee said, clearly surprised. "Wait, so, you and Chase had..."

"No!" I said before she could finish.

We sat for awhile without saying anything. Charlee finally broke the silence.

"Do you see it going any further?"

"Maybe. I guess I don't know."

"Would you want it to?"

I thought about that for a bit and finally answered, "Not really. I don't want to ruin our friendship. But..."

"But what?" Charlee asked me, eager for my answer.

"But if it would happen I wouldn't be upset."