chapter 2

Me, Octavia, Jasper, Monty, Clarke and Finn walk through the woods. Clarke is leading, followed by Finn, Monty, Jasper, Octavia and me at the back. Clarke, like always, is being serious while the others are talking and giggling. I stay quiet at the back of the group. I hear Jasper say something about Finn having game after he put a flower in Octavias hair.
"No my friend, that is poison sumac." Monty says.
"What? It is!?" Octavia says while slapping the flower out of her hair.
Monty explains it's soothing not deadly as I pick one up.
"Come on Clarke, have a little fun." I say walking past her, tucking the flower behind her ear.
She flicks it out and rolls her eyes. She starts to say something about how we haven't seen any animals and we could have been exposed to enough radiation to kill us. I roll my eyes and keep in front. Clarke is the first to reach me after I crouch down. Clarke ushers the others over. We look at a deer.
"What were you saying princess?" Finn smirks at Clarke.
It's eating peacefully as we watch it. A branch snaps as someone shifts. The deers head snaps towards us and we let out startled gasps. It has a mutated head growing from the side. It runs off and we take a minute before we continue walking.
IM once again at the back. Octavia swings on a tree just before Clarke give us her life story about how her father was floated. We are informed by Octavia that she wants to float them all on the ark.
"Man, I love earth." I hear Jasper say.
We look up to see Octavia undressing. She looks back and makes eye contact with me. She jumps in and we all rush to the small cliff face. She giggles and stands as we tell her we can't swim.
"Wait. There shouldn't be a river here." Clarke's smile fades.
"Well there is, so take off your damn clothes." Finn says smiling.
I look behind Octavia as Jasper yells for her to get out of the water. I gasp as she gets dragged under the surface. I rip my jacket off, diving into the water. I relax slightly as I am enveloped in the cool water. I raise to the surface and try to remember what my mother had told me. To swim you kick your legs and propel yourself forwards with your arms. I try it out, struggling at first. I make it to Octavia as Jasper pulls her out. She collapses o. Top of him. I forget IM still in the water until someone pulls me out. I look back at the water to see the snake like figure retreating to deeper water. I look up to see Finn has a tight grip on my bicep. I thank him and watch as Clarke rips some of jaspers shirt, tying it around Octavias leg where the gash is. I try to take a step but fall as a shooting pain goes up my leg. I look down and see a large cut on my lower leg. Finn notices the blood and rips some of his own shirt, wrapping it around the large cut. I thank him and sit down with the others. We decide to wait out the night and continue in morning.

I wake up to see Finn getting ready to swing. I rub the sleep from my eyes and make my way over. Octavia smiles and helps me to walk noticing my limping. We help each other walk closer to the group. Finn goes to swing when Jasper stops him. He says something that I don't hear while looking at Octavia. He grabs onto the wad of vines and swings across. He lands on the other side and we all burst into cheers and applause. Clarke makes he way up and holds the vines. I look back to Jasper as I hear something soar through the sky. I let out a strangled sob as Jasper falls with the spear lodged in his chest. I try to go forward but Monty grabs my arm, keeping me in place. I block the others out as I stare at jaspers motionless body. After a few minutes, we all take off running back to camp. Monty trips over something while running. When he stands we see a large skull of some sort and other bones. We hear Jasper scream and rush back to the lake. Only to find Jasper is no longer there.

Word count: 763
Sorry if I mess up or whatever. Comment what needs to be fixed.😉