Chapter Twenty Three

Start from the beginning

I'm assuming these are Owen's parents.

"Sadie!" Marissa exclaimed, rushing over to me and wrapping her arms around my neck. "Thank God you are here! I'm freaking out!"

I hugged her stiffly back, before stepping out of her embrace.

"I'm so sorry for questioning you," she said in a hushed tone, her eyes wide, her cheeks blotchy and red. She looked agitated as she stepped from side to side. "I-I was so scared and Owen said-"

"It's fine," I said to her.

She chewed her lip and nodded.

"Alison and Clayton, this is Sadie," she introduced.

"O-Oh Sadie," Alison stammered, turning to me. She looked just like Owen. They had the same colour hair and eyes. And the same, pointy nose. "We've heard so much about you."

I forced a smile onto my face and lied. "Likewise."

"Just terrible," she said, shaking her head. "Who would do this to my baby?"

I felt Marissa's eyes latch onto my face, but I refused to look at her. I let out a breath, shrugging my shoulders.

"There are some cruel people out there."

She just nodded, holding in another sob.

"May I go see him?" I asked.

"Sure, honey," she said, placing her hand over her heart. "He would want to see you. He's just asleep at the moment."

"Okay," I replied, before I made my way towards his room.

I got to his door. My hands enclosed around the cool, metal handle. Letting out a deep exhale, I pushed the door open.

A gasp left my lips and my heart plummeted into my stomach. I stepped inside, shutting the door behind me. My eyes burned with unshed tears as I stared at Owen, lying motionless on the hospital bed.

The blood had been cleaned up but it still looked gruesome. Owen had deep lacerations from his forehead, across his nose, across his cheeks, on the corners of his lips and his jaw. His eyes were swollen and dark with bruising. His face colouring ranged from pale white, to purple, to red, to slightly yellow.

It was horrible.

"Oh my God," I whispered, as I walked towards him. I shook my head, staring in complete horror.

I sat on the edge of the bed and reached out, touching Owen's hands. They felt rough. You could tell he had tried to fight back, but clearly, did not win.

"Who did this to you?" I whispered, running my hands over his swollen knuckles.

Surely, Isaac couldn't have done this...

Owen groaned loudly, stirring. I blinked in surprise, straightening my spine. Slowly, his eyes fluttered open. He looked confused as he stared around the room, before realisation settled on his face. He swivelled his eyes to mine.

"Hey Owen," I murmured softly.

Suddenly, he let out a high-pitched scream. He began to move madly, kicking his legs out. I leapt to my feet, staring at him, completely shocked at his behaviour.

"GET AWAY FROM ME!" he screamed as his breathing became elevated.

I really think it should be me saying that to him, considering what he did to me last night.

"Owen," I exclaimed, startled.

He let out a ragged scream again, flailing in his bed. His parents rushed in, to see what the commotion was.