Chapter 6: Mirroring the Past

"Krey, I think your mom's about to know where you are." Evans said as he continued tapping on his phone. I looked at him thoroughly. He was that same Evans I grew up with. Always busy giving me a headstart.

Evans was an orphan of Maria Violeta, my father's 30-year-old nanny back when he was 25 years old. She was a loyal subject and his trusted friend. That is why when she passed away, my dad kept him. I was so happy because at that time Johann's being trained to be an impeccable child and I found someone who made me want to be a normal one.

We were so close back then. He was my best friend but mom put up a wall between us when his heir to the throne left. She fears that if I ever inherit the company she's invested her whole life with, it will be snatched just in just a blink of an eye.

I was never the first option. I am always second best. And it really pains me that she doesn't see my capability. She'll rather throw me to someone who'll make her remain on top even if it was an ass other than choosing someone who stayed there even when I'm jaded and all that.

Evans didn't leave despite him being overqualified as being someone who should be around me. He filled everyone's absence and for that I am forever grateful.

"She was on the move." He trailed and my brows furrowed.  "Who?" I asked and I almost laughed when I saw how scrunched his forehead was. Evans didn't change. He always saves the heck out of me.

He wanted me to have a life. A life far from what Johann left behind. A life that will give me the freedom to choose.

"Mrs. Del Fierro found Dashiel, Krey." He stated and I face palmed.

Shit! That freaking Japanese again!

"Yes. Furukawa. Damn, he sure tracks well." He said before looking at me. I mentally scolded myself.

"I told you to avoid Mrs. Del Fierro's call. She thinks you're always with Dash and what you did only proved that you are." He trailed as she put his phone through his pocket.

I crossed my arms. "I went here all by myself. Everything after that was pure coincidences." I spat out and he chuckled.

"There's no such thing."

Those words were the exact words he uttered 2 years ago about a love that can move mountains. He said that Kade's love can't even move it one bit. And he was right. Because the mountain was strong enough to break him even if he tried hard.

Kade surrendered and I can't blame him. My mom was a tough one to beat. But all I'm asking was for him to not leave me that fateful day. I begged him to give me some time. Maybe a day or two. But he left...all three of them left. Kade, Johann and dad.

Mom didn't falter but that day broke me and fixing me won't be that easy. Evans was the only one who chose to stay.

He stood there like a demigod with his dishevelled hair. He looked so good I wonder if he ever happen to be in a relationship. The girl must be very lucky.

"Evans." I trailed. He didn't answer but he looked at me intently.

"I'll just need a minute before we figure the whole enchilada. Do you have a girlfriend?" I asked out of sheer curiosity but he only raised an eyebrow.

"I don't. Why?" He queried and I nodded.

The last time I've been with him was 2 years ago and the years before that happened differently as to what we are when we were in high school. We only see each other during breakfast and dinner all because my mom doesn't want me spending a lot of time with him even if we both live in the same house.

But I do now so might as well ask.

"No offense but why?" I asked and his eyebrow raised even more.

I knew Evans ever since and I didn't hear anything about him having a different gender preference. But it can be possible since this century is full of surprises. No judgement though.

I saw how his lip form a straight line. "Snap out of it. I'm not." He said and I pouted. "So, why?" I queried as my eagerness to hear his answer grew even more.

He stared at me for seconds before the side of his lip raised, forming a beguiling smile.

I blinked thrice.

"Kreyon, the search is over. I'm just waiting for my chance." He trailed and I saw him bit his lip before turning his head to the sea.

And before I literally admit that he's drool-worthy, someone bumped into me.

A little girl wearing a sunny dress with her hair tied up.

I smiled at her and she smiled back. Her eyes were so full of life. It was beautiful.

But I held my breath when I saw something very familiar.

It was a memory...buried deep inside.

Her eyes mirrored the pair I once had...until they broke me and I can no longer have it back.