Chapter 26: Minutes Before the Ball: No More Reason to Stay

Minutes Before the Ball: No More Reason to Stay

Today was the day, the day of the long awaited ball! The palace was filled with so much excitement and full of gossiping and lively people that the atmosphere had changed immensely. It was obvious to anyone that this was an event they didn't want to go wrong. So all the preparations were made and they made sure that there weren't any faults to it.

Meanwhile, while the palace was busy making preparations, Utau and Ikuto were too preoccupied at the moment. Sadly, it wasn't because of friends, but because of the fact that they were being called by tailors, and other people involved in the upcoming event.

Utau sighed as she tried on another dress that they wanted her to put on. "They treat me like some kind of doll…." She didn't mind getting dressed for events, but she figured that anyone who was asked to try about the 10th to 15th dress that day would at least be exhausted.

"Utau-san, your next dress is ready." A maid had come in after she had just changed back to her original clothes.

Utau groaned as the maid set the dress on the chair right next to her and left the room to give her some time to change. "You have got to be kidding me." She told herself as she picked up the dress and once more, changed.

Ikuto on the other hand was having just the same kind of problem. He too was getting called by dozens of people who were intended to help him get ready for the upcoming event. Ikuto didn't like it, but it wasn't like he was being given much of a choice.

"Let's think of it this way. The faster I get this done, the sooner I can go back to Amu." He kept that to himself but that was one thing to keep him from complaining.

The day went on that way and soon, it was over…well for the most part, since the ball was still to come. Ikuto was walking back to Amu's room and when he got there, he saw Amu seated on the bed.

"Hey, looks like you're pretty tired." He told her as he went closer.

"…" Amu didn't reply, she was too spaced out to even realize that Ikuto had come inside her room and had even spoken to her.

"Amu? You okay?" Ikuto asked again.

"…" still, he got no reply from the pink haired girl.

He started to worry now. He put both hands on her shoulder and she suddenly jumped a bit because of shock. "Ikuto?" asked Amu as she looked at him. "What are you doing here?" she asked.

Ikuto stared at her for a while before he answered. "You do realize that you've been spacing out right?" he asked.

"Huh? What are you talking about?" asked Amu with a nervous laugh.

"Simple, I've been calling your name for a while now and then when you finally notice that I'm here you suddenly freak out." Ikuto told her.

"Oh…" replied Amu.

"So?" asked Ikuto.

"So?" Amu asked back.

Ikuto sighed and replied "Amu, I'm asking you what's wrong? You've been totally spaced out, which isn't normal not to mention you're silent for the most part so something has to be bothering you. Question is, what is it?" asked Ikuto seriously.

"Nothing, I'm fine. " answered Amu plainly.

"Sure you are." Replied Ikuto in a sarcastic voice. "Come on Amu, tell me what's going on because you know I'm bound to find out anyway."

"I told you Ikuto I'm perfectly fine." She smiled.

"…" Ikuto sighed and then he gave in…for now. He'd ask her about it later. He knew something was bothering her, that she was hiding something, and the fact that something was definitely bugging her but no matter what he did she wasn't going to say anything.